Coffee or Espresso brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mupo

Reaction score
The tea spot was the only place I thought this would fit, as it would not count as a beer, mead or wine.

Here goes!

My husband and mom think I'm going a little bit strange for even thinking about making this. I was inspired by Craigtube on YouTube with his Inmate-Brew. His wasn't coffee though.
My idea was : coffee/espresso made by an AeroPress up to half my fermentation vessel, maybe more than half. Maybe 2 or 3 cups of sugar water (2 cups sugar blended with 1cup hot-boiling water till it clears), filling up to 3/4th of the way with water and some yeast.
I am not sure what kind of yeast to use for this. That's where I am stumped. Does anyone have any ideas for this? Will it work?
Thanks for your time! ^_^

It will ferment, I have a 5 gallon batch of coffee wine going right now, that I started about a month ago. I will say it smells delicious. I'm following a recipe from Jack Keller. I think I put Cuvee yeast. I used some brown sugar/sucanat/rapunzel I believe rather than just white sugar. Also did add some black tea for tannin and some raisins for the yeast.

So basically then I think if you are aiming for a coffee 'beer' you could prime some bottles for carbonation and bottle it a little younger, and if looking for more of a wine let it age out longer in the carboy after racking.

Fermentation often does interesting things to flavors so it will be interesting to see what it does to coffee.

I have tried making a coffee kombucha or 'koffucha', it tasted really strange to me, I think I could have grown to like it but I stuck with normal tea kombucha.

Awesome! Thanks for telling me about your experience with this! Should I use decaffeinated, or full caffeine? I plan to use Caribou coffee for this :D. What kind die of coffee did you use for yourself? Curvee yeast sounds perfect considering the nutty flavors in that Caribou coffee. YaY!

What would an ale yeast do to it?
I personally have no experience with ale yeasts. Thanks!

I used full caffeinated. I don't use decaf products. The coffee I used was Cafe Altura Organic Coffee, Biodynamic French Roast, Whole Bean, 32-Ounce Bag, I pretty much used the whole bag. I put it in a 6 gallon stainless pot to brew it, then I added my sugars, then I open fermented it for a few days, then I racked it to the carboy.

Ale yeasts might work very well. I didn't use a beer yeast because many of them you need to keep a bit cooler than room temp to avoid off flavors and I didn't have a way to do that at the time.

I will do my research about Beer yeasts then to find an ideal one since my room fluctuates from 65-80 fahrenheit here because of the fall weather. My meads Don't seem to mind. :D

The caffeine should give it an extra kick ;)

Yes the caffeine should be fine. It's really only people with livers that are not in good condition that have problems from caffeine. The telltale sign being consuming caffeine towards evening making it tough for them to sleep. The fermentation may possibly knock out some of the caffeine. It does in kombucha but I don't know if that's the action of the yeasts or bacteria.

That's scary about liver issues. Good to know about it! :).
How about Nottingham yeast? Has a good temperature range but I may not be able to keep it a consistent temperature.

Beer yeasts, I've tried only Windsor so far, not sure how it's going to turn out. Supposedly the first few days are the most critical.

If the first few days are critical then I should be able to keep in a steady 70f. I will try to anyway. My very first mead had a strong (but not really bad) alcohol flavor. I had kept it quite warm 80f or something. It was very drinkable but seemed a little dry. Forgot what that off-flavor was called. Started with a D in John Palmers how to brew book I think. :)
I have a feeling this will be especially vigorous when it starts. A blow off tube will be used for those first few days :D

I have made Kombucha coffee using a SCOBY. The result is a very very potent energy tonic. The coffee is slightly fermented and has many of the qualities associated with traditional kombucha

Sorry for the super late reply :) I ended up making an espresso beer using Belgian yeast from White-Labs. I loved it, but its not for everyone. I'll have to show pictures sometime soon :)

Sorry to sideway

ForumRunner_20130104_122859.jpg

ForumRunner_20130104_122920.jpg

ForumRunner_20130104_122936.jpg

Sideways^ pictures. They rotated in my gallery but looks like they won't stay rotated.

ForumRunner_20130104_123759.png

Yay its in a glass! But tastes better from the bottle. First beer that I've found that with.

I tried espresso wine kind of a deal. It was too bitter to drink. Although its aging now the pre aging flavor warm and chilled was overpowering. I may have a different opinion in a few months. But as it stands now coffee would prob be a better choice. Being as alcohol enhances flavors. (Like bitterness in espresso.)

I have made Kombucha coffee using a SCOBY. The result is a very very potent energy tonic. The coffee is slightly fermented and has many of the qualities associated with traditional kombucha

I've recently read about this. Very cool to hear that it works and that's it's high in caffeine?
I've heard that the SCOBY isn't 'active' anymore after fermentation when you make coffee kombucha - that you have to use an extra scoby and not your main one.

Any experience with this?

Back