Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sheepdawgg said:
Black mold equals bad mood. You should skim?

It doesn't look like black mold to me, more just black scum from dark wort atop a cap of bread dough.

This is my most recent saison that is a blend of Dupont bottle yeast, WY3724, WY3726, WL565, WL Trois, and a strain of lacto I isolated out of another culture that is hop tolerant. Well I think it's a lacto strain. I didn't get this kind of pellicle on the first beer I had the contamination but maybe this is a mix of the brett and lacto making this pellicle.
IMG_20121229_210355_zps72d6cf9b.jpg

Here is another saison I brewed back in August. I fermented it solely with lambic/gueuze bottle sediment I saved up from the last two years. I just did a direct pitch of maybe 2oz of thick resuspended slurry. There's the normal suspects in here. Cantillion, Lindeman's Cuvee Renee, some 3F, Hanssens, and anything else I felt fit the lambic/gueuze profile when I was drinking at home and had my mason jar handy.

IMG_20121229_210549_zps532550ca.jpg

Here is a couple of shots (sorry they are not the greatest only got my cell to take pics). This is the tart of darkness recipe but I pitched ECY20 bug county that has a whole lotta different critters in it. The first pic was 3 days after pitching and the next ones are a day or two after that. The last one is not even that close up.
IMG_20121225_151207_zpsf28e68a3.jpg

IMG_20121226_001334_zps831d24f7.jpg

IMG_20121226_094453_zps715d5766.jpg

Got a few more. The first is a hibiscus ginger saison with jolly pumpkin dregs. The second is a pale ale with Brett trois. The third is a golden with Brett c.

image-156661204.jpg

image-371489411.jpg

image-4185707673.jpg

Damnit, guys. I've got 7 sour/funk beers going right now and NONE of them have had a pellicle worth showing so far (some are approaching a year old now). The closest one is just a thin white film. Oh well, the pellicle is just part of the fun - at least they're tasting great so far.

:(

NB Grand Cru partial mash. After a year and a month this is what it looked like:

001.JPG

Pulling the lid off the fermenter was like pulling a saddle of a horse....awesome. Taste was light and lemony sour.

yeah the currants have been floating on the top for like 5 months... the one on the left most of them did drop a couple weeks ago...the right...most are still floating...

Here's my saison after another week. It's down to 1.002 at this point so I'm going to get ready for bottling. I'd like to get the fermentor empty so I can use the same bacteria in a new dubbel recipe that I initially made unintentionally sour. Now my friend and I want to make a buttload of the sour dubbel. I added dry hops to this saison today and will be cold crashing it at the middle of the week. I will bottle and prime for like 3 volumes allowing the brett and whatever to bring up the rear.

IMG_20130106_114907_zps92d0da17.jpg

Here's my saison after another week. It's down to 1.002 at this point so I'm going to get ready for bottling. I'd like to get the fermentor empty so I can use the same bacteria in a new dubbel recipe that I initially made unintentionally sour. Now my friend and I want to make a buttload of the sour dubbel. I added dry hops to this saison today and will be cold crashing it at the middle of the week. I will bottle and prime for like 3 volumes allowing the brett and whatever to bring up the rear.

IMG_20130106_114907_zps92d0da17.jpg

It's so....beautiful!

smokinghole said:

It's perfection :cool:

zzN7s

Here is my flanders red at about 4 months. It's pitched with the Roe blend and some RR dregs.

those last shots are amazing! this is my funky graff (brown ale+apple cider) made with the wyeast trappist blend (orval--so the pellicle is bret brux) after two months, just before bottling.

1.jpg

image-864537774.jpg

The is a pellicle from lactobacillus. I pitched a low gravity wort onto a yeast cake from a previous berliner weisse batch.

One of the few times you crack the lid and become happy to see your pellicle is forming nicely.

UPDATE: Just two days later the pellicle formed into this:

image-156186222.jpg

So awesome!

Great thread!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish I'd found this back around last summer when I had a little something happening to an ESB.

66770d1340939379-infection-advice-infection-1.jpg

66771d1340939379-infection-advice-infection-2.jpg

Probably absolute sacrilege but I dumped the batch:eek: as the thought of having to chuck my autosyphon and tubing, bottling bucket, bottling wand, plus anything else that came in touch with the brew, was a bit discouraging. Have to say, though, that the sample I drank, a few days after these photos were taken, tasted bloody good actually so I didn't enjoy dumping it:(.

Ogri said:
Great thread!!!!!!!!!!!
Probably absolute sacrilege but I dumped the batch:eek: as the thought of having to chuck my autosyphon and tubing, bottling bucket, bottling wand, plus anything else that came in touch with the brew, was a bit discouraging. Have to say, though, that the sample I drank, a few days after these photos were taken, tasted bloody good actually so I didn't enjoy dumping it:(.
Especially since you wouldn't had had to dispose of all that equipment. I use the same equipment for both sour beers and regular, and all I do is give it a hot soak in strong bleach water, then a soak in Starsan. Haven't had one problem yet.

Especially since you wouldn't had had to dispose of all that equipment. I use the same equipment for both sour beers and regular, and all I do is give it a hot soak in strong bleach water, then a soak in Starsan. Haven't had one problem yet.

Regrettably, I only realised that soon after dumping. Was, mistakenly, under the impression that it was chuck the stuff or use only for doing infected/cultured batches.:eek:

Yes, this one is the one. Something special is happening with it and my porter.

I believe it. Brett L. has significant character that has a way of shining in just about any wort, fermented at just about any temperature. Although, if you let it get warmer, it will give you a fruity and funky complexity that is unrivaled.

nice mountainside, thanks for participating!! did you add lacto to that or is that from the grain? from the pic i don't think i've ever seen lacto like that:confused: but like i state in the OP, i don't know if there's any "standard" in regards to growth(s). that's what i'd like to know...

here one from a ways back that i wanted to throw in here. it's contributed by a user named landhoney. thread is from 2007 so this should be tasty if not all gone: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/he-aint-heavy-hes-my-pellicle-44148/ Flanders Red w/ Roselare
3259d1194482306-he-aint-heavy-hes-my-pellicle-dsc_00050001_1.jpg

3258d1194482290-he-aint-heavy-hes-my-pellicle-dsc_00040001.jpg

Whats the wooden dowel in the middle of the carboy? food for the yeast or does it serve another purpose?

beerbeerbeer123 said:
Whats the wooden dowel in the middle of the carboy? food for the yeast or does it serve another purpose?

It was probably inoculated with the bugs that are responsible for that nice looking pellicle. I haven't done this, but it's not uncommon.

It also allows the exchange of "micro-oxygen." Basically a cheap way of simulating the effects of a barrel.

Oh i see..lambic brewers in belgium want O2 to penetrate the barrels in small amounts over time.. correct? lambics are great but very strange..only beer that benifits from old hops and o2 ..does anyone have a link on how to set up that "dowel" like thing in a carboy? thanks

It also allows the exchange of "micro-oxygen." Basically a cheap way of simulating the effects of a barrel.

Winner.

Micro-oxidation. If you brew sours you might never get a pellicle and some of the tartness without the introduction of a little O2. But overdo it and you'll have vinegar.

Sour beers on a commercial level are often soured in barrels (at least I know Russian River does this). The wood of the barrel lets minute amounts of O2 in there.

Jamil describes using the rod in his Brewing Classic Styles. He got the idea from someone who did some back-of-the-envelope calculations of the ratio of the volume of a barrel to the surface area of the barrel, and concluded that the 1" diameter of a wood rod is almost perfect for the volume of a 5g carboy.

Me, I just open it once a month to taste it. Much more rewarding :)

(it's very possible he discusses it in his Flanders Red podcast here... click the MP3 button): http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/Flanders-Red-Ale-The-Jamil-Show-01-29-07

Winner.

Micro-oxidation. If you brew sours you might never get a pellicle and some of the tartness without the introduction of a little O2. But overdo it and you'll have vinegar.

Sour beers on a commercial level are often soured in barrels (at least I know Russian River does this). The wood of the barrel lets minute amounts of O2 in there.

Jamil describes using the rod in his Brewing Classic Styles. He got the idea from someone who did some back-of-the-envelope calculations of the ratio of the volume of a barrel to the surface area of the barrel, and concluded that the 1" diameter of a wood rod is almost perfect for the volume of a 5g carboy.

Me, I just open it once a month to taste it. Much more rewarding :)

(it's very possible he discusses it in his Flanders Red podcast here... click the MP3 button): http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/Flanders-Red-Ale-The-Jamil-Show-01-29-07

My bold. That's what I do. I'm considering using the oak rod, now that I'm fermenting quite a few sour beers and don't always taste them along the way anymore.

Back