You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you never get tired of reading this thread because it always reminds you of different episodes. When you need to get the scratch to fix the stove,& those ale ingredients are calling you night & day...also when you're at the top of page "69"!

You know you're a homebrewer when you bore your friends with the process of making beer, instead of just drinking it with them.

AxDxMx said:
You know you're a homebrewer when you bore your friends with the process of making beer, instead of just drinking it with them.

No lie, my gf won't even let me talk about brewing...even when I refer to a night at the bar as "research "

alpha224 said:
No lie, my gf won't even let me talk about brewing...even when I refer to a night at the bar as "research "

Then she's gotta go! Jk. My wifes acts like she cares but she doesnt mind letting me ramble on about brewing.

When one of your propane tanks runs out in the middle of your mash and you must instantly send HWMBO out to get you more as you nervously wrap the baby in towels and watch your temp gauge.

GingerBeer515 said:
When one of your propane tanks runs out in the middle of your mash and you must instantly send HWMBO out to get you more as you nervously wrap the baby in towels and watch your temp gauge.

Apparently, when you're so hardcore that you put your infant in the mash tun to keep him warm. I thought I loved brewing, but WOW! :p

When you take a vacation day on your kids first day back to school so you can enjoy a peaceful day of brewing.

When you are deployed to afghanistan and trying to find places that will ship hop candy to APO to help with the withdrawls.

Piratwolf said:
Apparently, when you're so hardcore that you put your infant in the mash tun to keep him warm. I thought I loved brewing, but WOW! :p

AHAHAHAHA! Funny, we just got our 30 gal brew pots in and were discussing all the things we could fit in there. No babies at the house, but we DID decide the smaller of the 2 Labs would fit.

Note: no children or dogs were harmed in the making of our beer.

When your watching breaking bad and the dea agent is bottling his homebrew. He wakes up to bottle bombs thinking someone is shooting his house up and you say damn what a waste of brew.

HA! I remember thinking, "What is this, amateur hour? C'mon Hank, you gotta dial in your priming sugar, man."

I'll pause it and even go through the shot(s) frame by frame trying to determine whether or not the character has good taste in beer. Unfortunately, it's often purposely rotated to make it really difficult, if not impossible.

I do that sometimes too. I was watching "Wristcutters: A Love Story" a looong time ago. There's a scene where the guy (Eugene) is on stage with his band, and he decides to commit suicide. He takes a swig of beer and pours the rest on his guitar, electrocuting himself. I had to pause it to see what he was drinking. Obviously the director has a sense of humor, because in the scene he's drinking a bottle or Rogue Dead Guy Ale. That's attention to detail. Too funny.

When your working in a foreign country for a year that outlaws alcohol, yet you still spend all your free time on brewing sites, and designing beer recipes that your going to try when your year is up and your back home.

I'm deployed right now. I got home for a week last month and brewed one batch and bottled another so I can have something ready for when I get home. I'll do a third batch once I get home, after I remind SWMBO why she puts up with me.

You're making cream of wheat, it boils over, and you're relieved it isn't wasted beer :rockin:

I'm deployed right now. I got home for a week last month and brewed one batch and bottled another so I can have something ready for when I get home. I'll do a third batch once I get home, after I remind SWMBO why she puts up with me.

Same here, just with no mid tour leave. I have been designing my new electric setup and seeing what parts i can get from the scrap yards when i get to travel back to the FOBs.

In restaurants you order beer in bottles so you can smuggle them home.
i don't smuggle them home, the staff knows full well that the bottles are coming with me - i'm known as "the guy who likes to keep his belgian beer bottles". thanks to 8 months of traveling and a corporate charge card, i accumulated over 50 duvel bottles. my tripel is currently aging in them, safely carbed at 3.6 vols.

sweetcell said:
i don't smuggle them home, the staff knows full well that the bottles are coming with me - i'm known as "the guy who likes to keep his belgian beer bottles". thanks to 8 months of traveling and a corporate charge card, i accumulated over 50 duvel bottles. my tripel is currently aging in them, safely carbed at 3.6 vols.

Wow 50? Would love to try them.

All I can smell in my little studio is spent grain that infuses into my clothing from a day of brewing. I hardly notice it but everyone that comes over mentions it, and I am constantly airing the place out.

Also when I first started brewing I was sitting at a Starbucks after picking up some new boots to brew in and some lady behind me mentioned to her friend that she smelled beer. I replied with, "Oh that would be me" and before I could say anything else as explanation she says, "Oh honey you need rehab badly"

I just laughed and put my earphones on.

Wow 50? Would love to try them.
those weren't 50 different belgians - at least 40 were duvels, with a few being orval, chimay, etc.

or did you mean my tripel? belgian thick-glass bottles are 33 cl, which is a little smaller than 12 oz. so whereas i might have gotten 48 regular bottles out of that batch, instead i got like 54 of the belgian bottles.

sweetcell said:
those weren't 50 different belgians - at least 40 were duvels, with a few being orval, chimay, etc.

or did you mean my tripel? belgian thick-glass bottles are 33 cl, which is a little smaller than 12 oz. so whereas i might have gotten 48 regular bottles out of that batch, instead i got like 54 of the belgian bottles.

Either way sounds impressive. Are you going to drink them or age them? Or both?

When you pick up your 5 year old daughter from preschool and on the way home she says, "Hey Dad, after summer comes fall. Then it's time to make rauchbier."

You drive around expecting (at least hoping) to see Corny kegs in alleys, behind restaurants, at garage sales, at flea markets, at abandoned houses, at salvage yards...everywhere.

duckredbeard said:
You drive around expecting (at least hoping) to see Corny kegs in alleys, behind restaurants, at garage sales, at flea markets, at abandoned houses, at salvage yards...everywhere.

Lmao!

So true

With a propane grill, turkey fryer/brew burner, and 55,000 BTU forced-air torpedo heater for the garage in the winter, I have two propane tanks for that very reason. One flames out, I can grab the other, swap tanks, and be back on heat (whatever appliance I'm using at the time) in under 2 minutes.

Now... the moment that one appliance flames out, you grab the spare tank and realize you didn't exchange it after the LAST flame-out... THAT moment sucks!

You took your 2-month old daughter to the LHBS today to pick up ingredients for Apfelwein and a quick hefeweizen, and then explained the brewing process to her on the way home...I'm a proud

When the new propane tank becomes the brewhouse primary and the one that was on the brewhouse gets demoted to grill duty.

To save time you just have the guy at Home Depot cable cutting machine cut the ends off your SS flex lines.:D

that pneumatic nipper make nice clean cuts, but you will get strange looks.

You know you are a homebrewer when...
You buy a juice mix from the international section of the grocery store and wonder if they are using US or Imperial gallons

When your watching breaking bad and the dea agent is bottling his homebrew. He wakes up to bottle bombs thinking someone is shooting his house up and you say damn what a waste of brew.

I think you're also a home-brewer if you first heard the noise and thought "I bet you he has some bottle bombs, it's not someone shooting at him"

Also, did anyone notice the scene last season with Jesse sitting at home drinking a Pliny with that woman and kid?

mcginnis842 said:
...When the words "digital refractometer w/ATC" excite you.

When you actually spend a fair bit buying one ;)

Just need the matching bench pH meter now :eek:

Back