Drilling holes in bucket lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahobrew

Reaction score
I've got some standard size grommets coming in the mail today from my brew supplier. What size drill bit do I use to drill the hole in the bucket lid? Making 2 fermenters on the cheap. Thanks!

Not sure what material the bucket lid is made of, but I will assume plastic.

I don't know the exact size of your grommet, but you can easily make the appropriate size by using a step-bit. Just go slow and easy, and you can check it as you go along to make sure you get the right size.

I did the same when enlarging the hole to accomodate for a temperature control grommet.

If you don't have a step bit, take your drill bits and select the one that is just slightly too large to fit cleanly through the hole in the grommet. When in doubt, drill too small, test fit, then step it up if needed.

Here you go, photos below. I enlarged mine to fit a thermowell in my bucket to temperature control the primary. Works great. FYI, (good) step bits are not cheap, but do a perfect job.

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

Latest posts

Back