At what ABV does cider become "too stong"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kja5070

Reaction score
When making my last batch of cider I decided to pour in a bunch of extra sugar to make it extra potent. Now that the fermentation is just about done with im having second thoughts about this one. The OG was right at 1.1 so I would expect the abv to be around 10%. Now that im getting excited to drink it i wonder if its going to taste vile. So im wondering how much everyone else would recommend for this, so in future batches i use the right amount.

The extra sugar will likely add some harsh flavors that may mellow with some extended aging. Of course there are a bunch of variables like temp, type of sugar, yeast and time.

I believe to be called cider it has to be below 7%. Anything more and it is considered wine.

-cheers

Thanks for the response. I was actually hoping to rack it and let it age with some spices and then bottle it in the fall, but then i started hearing that the high abv wouldn't work well for that. I think next time around ill take it easy and follow an actual recipe

If your OG was 1.100, I'd expect the final ABV to be more like 12-14% ABV, depending on which yeast strain you used. I make apple wine all the time. It's good- a dry, crisp white wine- but not much apple cider flavor to it. (Check out my apple wine recipe under my recipe pulldown- I think I have tasting notes in there).

Recipe tab is pretty nice, i didnt know that existed. I just racked it and tasted it. Defiantly strong, but ill see how it turns out in a few months

Back