Cool Article on Wild Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Yet this all-Delaware beer is an even bigger deal than most might realize, because it was made in a way that is unique in all of modern commercial brewing—it was brewed with a wild yeast."

"Before Dogfish Head, no modern commercial brewery, as far as anyone knows, had ever made a beer with wild yeast, according to quality tech Katrinka Housley, who manages the 30-plus varieties used at Dogfish Head. "

Really? What about:

Russian River Beatification
All of Allagash's Coolship beers: Resurgam, Red, Cerise, Balaton
any modern lambic brewery, e.g. Cantillion

It sounds like they're blatantly ignoring a lot of what several other innovative breweries are doing out there.

Yeah, wow, that is incredibly inaccurate. Even if they ignore all of Belgium, there are plenty of other examples in the US.

I hope that's just one sadly ignorant employee. It would be sad if Dogfish was really that unaware of the rest of the craft scene.

My guess is she was misquoted, either that or she hasnt done her homework. But I am sure Sam doesnt agree with what Katrina said, I mean he is friends with Vinnie and all...

More errors in the article, I am sure that Wyoming is not 30 miles from Delaware, wait yup I know its is not 30 miles from Delaware.

Also, how is wild yeast harvested from Peaches in Wyoming considered wild yeast indigenous to Delaware?

The facts in this article are pretty out of whack IMO.

My guess is she was misquoted, either that or she hasnt done her homework. But I am sure Sam doesnt agree with what Katrina said, I mean he is friends with Vinnie and all...

Yeah, hopefully that's all that happened. I couldn't imagine Sam being unaware of what else is going on out there.

Wyoming is a town in kent county DE outside of the state capital, Dover. Any yes I agree that she was either misquoted or extremely stupid. By the way the beer is very very good.

Not to slam DFH at all, because I love what they do, but Sam and the gang are huge marketers, and sometimes that means puffing your chest a little, even at the expense of the honest truth.

Not to slam DFH at all, because I love what they do, but Sam and the gang are huge marketers, and sometimes that means puffing your chest a little, even at the expense of the honest truth.

Well, that was my first thought, but I would really hope that's not the case. Its one thing to be an aggressive marketer and "stretch" the truth a bit - maybe say "there's hardly anyone out there today that has even attempted to brew beer with wild local yeast" - that's good marketing and won't piss anyone off. But the statements in there are just blatantly false, and if they really believe them, show that their vision is quite myopic.

But hopefully she was misquoted, or is just a bad spokesperson to have been chosen for that particular discussion.

Wyoming is a town in kent county DE outside of the state capital, Dover. Any yes I agree that she was either misquoted or extremely stupid. By the way the beer is very very good.

Ah! My bad. Carry on.

Katrina was on Brewmasters a decent amount and it sounded like she knew what she was doing so Im going to go ahead and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Ah! My bad. Carry on.

Katrina was on Brewmasters a decent amount and it sounded like she knew what she was doing so Im going to go ahead and give them the benefit of the doubt.
I'd agree, if I had to guess this is a misquote from the article. I would think they'd be referring to the first brewery to brew a beer using all local ingredients/materials from the area not just the yeast but that's purely speculation. I think Sam and the DFH crew know their place in the industry and are respectful to the other breweries out there.

And don't get me wrong, I'm psyched to try the beer...

Agreed, me too. For those of us who have tried to culture wild yeast and brew a decent beer with it, we know how much work it is to get an even somewhat palatable strain. I'd be saying how awesome my brewery was too! :mug:

DFH is mostly a maker of overpriced hyped up novelty beers. Katrina makes it sound like they are the first brewery ever to use wild yeast. It cant be a misquote because there were beers done using all local ingredients before. Back in the day brewers used local ingredients and at some point didnt even know about yeast. Everything was local.

Pivzavod said:
DFH is mostly a maker of overpriced hyped up novelty beers. Katrina makes it sound like they are the first brewery ever to use wild yeast. It cant be a misquote because there were beers done using all local ingredients before. Back in the day brewers used local ingredients and at some point didnt even know about yeast. Everything was local.

This is a big thumbs down. Novelty in no way....Sam has a vission, uses quality ingredients, brews it, and sells it. Half of his great beers don't even make it to distribution because they're brew pup exclusive.

I'd agree that not all DFH beers I like, but at least they have the balls to put out what they want.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

I'm not commenting on DFH beers, but that article was terrible.

Detroit, wall street, What does that have to do with beer?? it is just junk sound-bites. I didn't go past the first page in fear that I would be called the 1%, and that the 99% would occupy my front yard until I gave them 99% of my wild yeasts.

This is a big thumbs down. Novelty in no way....Sam has a vission, uses quality ingredients, brews it, and sells it. Half of his great beers don't even make it to distribution because they're brew pup exclusive.

Be honest, how drunk were you when you wrote this? brew pup, that sounds like a great dog.

Many DFH beers are gross, and they are indeed overpriced. I won't slam them for trying new things, but I won't pay a premium to be your test customer either.

I'm not commenting on DFH beers, but that article was terrible.

Detroit, wall street, What does that have to do with beer?? it is just junk sound-bites. I didn't go past the first page in fear that I would be called the 1%, and that the 99% would occupy my front yard until I gave them 99% of my wild yeasts.

Yea, the article was pretty unreadable.

I thought this article was awesome. I didn't know he rowed the first shipment of DFH to Jersey himself. Hilarious.

And I don't think DFH beers are more expensive than other craft offerings. And yea they've got some duds (I didn't like Jiahu at all, but that's just me). But they've also hit some grand slams. 60 min? 90 min? My Antonia? So good.

Thanks for posting.

Yeah, that magezine article was pretty bad...

“the statement Delaware Native Ale makes is this:"With the meltdown on Wall Street and the implosion in Detroit, this is just a bunch of people saying, ‘Let’s do something.’”

Seriously? C'mon.

"Yet this all-Delaware beer is an even bigger deal than most might realize, because it was made in a way that is unique in all of modern commercial brewing—it was brewed with a wild yeast."

"Before Dogfish Head, no modern commercial brewery, as far as anyone knows, had ever made a beer with wild yeast, according to quality tech Katrinka Housley, who manages the 30-plus varieties used at Dogfish Head. "

Just to clarify, the quotes above are from the article, but the article isn't quoting Housley. Could be that she said something like "nobody has ever brewed a commercial batch using the wild yeast varieties we used" and the author interpreted it (or misinterpreted it) to mean nobody has ever brewed with wild yeast. And/or an editor decided to make it a bigger deal than it really was not realizing that a bunch of beer geeks (I mean that as a compliment) would know other breweries have been doing the same thing for ages.

Just left a special home brewers tour, led by Sam, got to personally talk to katrinka and rectify the descriptiveness of the article, in which she told me she was severely misquoted, and they gave us free DNA YEAST to brew with!

Just left a special home brewers tour, led by Sam, got to personally talk to katrinka and rectify the descriptiveness of the article, in which she told me she was severely misquoted, and they gave us free DNA YEAST to brew with!
Was that through your homebrew club? Are they giving that yeast out at the brewery?

Yes that was through our club ,Delmarva United Homebrewers. Sam, his wife Mariah, and Bryan Selders are also in the club. Katrinka said if we need more yeast to call her, but I believe it's for local pickup only and maybe just for club members......not 100% on that.

That's good to know. And that's really cool they're giving out the yeast. Did they give any indication of what kind of yeast it is?

Yes they gave a discription of the yeast, how it ferments, and how it attenuates....alas I left it at home. I'll post the description when I get home from work. She did say that it should work great for a 60 min IPA clone or something with a gravity no higher than 1.065

Here is the description that was handed out with the yeast.

What you have here...

...Is our DNA wild-type yeast! This yeast was captured at Fifer Orchards in Dover, Delaware. We explored Fifer in search of Delaware native yeast, armed with petri dishes of media and fruit fly perfume that smells of ripe bananas.

We trapped fruit filies, dove through piles of moldy fruit, and sampled fruit itself in search of our mystery yeast. This here yeast is our best tasting, most alcohol producing strain of all the organisms we encountered. It ferments slowly and has low attenuation ability, so a starter is definitely recommended.

As always...Happy Brewing!

Latest posts

Back