Noobs pointless post No. 2.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FifteenTen

Reaction score
My first 5g extract batch was an American Wheat. As an impatient noob I drank it all during weeks three and four of bottle conditioning. It was still a bit green, but it was MY first batch and I loved it. My second batch is a London Porter. Its been conditioning for six weeks now and it still has not carbed properly yet. Foams the whole glass when you pour it. Giant foam bubbles too. Sounds like rice crispies while it settles. It has aged long enough to taste great, its just under carbed at this point. NOTE TO NOOBS. If want to brew a porter (or any malty brew) wait until your pipe line is well established because it takes a long time to carb malty brews.

Now to the pointless point of this post. My third batch, an American Pale, has been conditioning for 18 days and its GREAT. No green taste and well carbed. Leaves nice lacing on Jet Dried glasses. I’ve had five tonight. I know I should leave them for a bit longer but it’s the only drinkable homebrew in the house at the moment. I’m sure I’ll hate myself as I drink the last one which I’m sure will be ten time better than it is now.

I’m just supremely proud of my American Pale and wanted to share with someone who might case, as the wife only drinks cheap wine or Crown.. (I guess that the actual pointless point of this post.)

I have an american pale in my keezer now, and i'm ready to brew another I love it soo much. Props on the good brews, and you'll be drinking your porter soon enough

Hell no.....if it tastes that good drink it up!!!!

Also, on the wheat beer...I believe wheat beers are supposed to be drank quickly....dont let those set long.....drink them while fresh.

Also....kudos to your wife for being a CROWN drinker.....I;m not a whiskey drinker....but I am a CROWN drinker.... :D

Keep on drinking it if it tastes good! I can't ever seem to let anything age too long either unless I've got a good 20g or so on hand, not counting on what happens to be in the keg at the time. Besides, the more you drink the more you get to brew - win, win!

When you said your wife was a Crown drinker I immediately thought you meant Crown Lager (a.k.a. "Crownie"), a beer I've only seen in Australia. Was going to ask where you got it state side.

I've been doing pale ales from the get go. My latest,an APA I came up with,was fully carbed & conditioned in 8 days in the bottles. There's a couple of pics in my gallery. Bulk priming is def the way to go! It seems to carb/condition the beer faster/better than the cooper's carb drops I was using.
They're ok,don't get me wrong. But they take longer to work,& they over-carb eventually. I have a series of pics in my gallery that show this.
Anyway,congrats on the pale ale! I'm partial to them myself...:mug:

I have two 5g batches in primary now, but they will not be ready to bottle until July 1 at the earliest. I don't think my American Pale will last that long. However, when the 10g I have fermenting now is ready to drink I will have another 10g fermenting. At that point I think my pipeline will be flowing.

Second note to noobs: A single fermenting vessel is a novelty item. If you intend to drink only that which you brew, three fermenters are required. I only have two, but father's day is coming.

Very true on the second note to noobs. I have three counting my bottling bucket, but one is about to be used for lagering soon.

I still find myself juggling brews with four carboys. Especially if I have one or two in the secondary.

I'm at the point where I will start using kegs to secondary or lager so that my carboys are free when I need them.

We have 2 FV's as well. And a 3rd bucket that is for bottling,secondary,or a 3rd fermenter. We started doing 11G at a time,getting 4.75 cases between the two.

Also, on the wheat beer...I believe wheat beers are supposed to be drank quickly....dont let those set long.....drink them while fresh.

Also....kudos to your wife for being a CROWN drinker.....I;m not a whiskey drinker....but I am a CROWN drinker.... :D

That's exactly correct, Crown isn't really much of a whiskey. Canadians thinking they can make whiskey. Such a silly idea. Leave it to the hillbillies in Kentucky, they know what they're doing.

You got that right! I remember when pop used to come over on my birthday,bringing me a bottle of Beam's Choice! We both loved it,so I'd break out some cold beers,fry up some fresh caught bass & fries,& we'd all have a good time. Good memories with good ol' Kentucky bourbon!
I just took it to the next level after making a few mistakes along the way with this HB'ing adventure. I found,much to my dismay,that Beam's Choice isn't available anymore. That I could find,anyway. What I did find was Beam's Black 8 year old "double aged" Kentucky bourbon!
So,I soaked 5 jiggers in 4oz of medium toast French oak chips while I fermented a dark ale can with amber DME,& Kent Golding & Haulertau hops. They're both in secondary now,1 week in tomorrow. Man! What wonderful flavors! Holy Lord! The smooth dark ale mix made a combo of red ale/whiskey sort of color. But the other flavor component is a vanilla cream/bourbon goodness from that & the bourbon soaked oak. A few more days,& I'll sample it again to check for the highest quality.
And at close to 5.9%ABV,it's damn sure gunna be quality!:cross:

This is the whiskey lover's equivalent to someone saying they are a true beer aficionado because they drink Guinness and Stella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zixxer10R
That's exactly correct, Crown isn't really much of a whiskey. Canadians thinking they can make whiskey. Such a silly idea. Leave it to the hillbillies in Tennessee, they know what they're doing.

Now i know i'm seeing things. I most certainly did not type Tennessee. As far as i'm concerned, Tennessee's most popular "whiskey" is no better than Crown.

The JD from Tenn is the same as bourbon from Kentucky,save for an extra step in the process. Bourbon is smoother,where JD has a sharper bite to it. It's all a matter of preference at the moment...same stuff,different state. Try my Whiskely Ale in a couple of months,& tell me Tenn is better...

Brandonovich said:
This is the whiskey lover's equivalent to someone saying they are a true beer aficionado because they drink Guinness and Stella.

Jesus... no it's not. Not even close. He never called himself a true whiskey aficionado or even implied it. Quite the opposite, actually.

Back