Question about faucets. Perlick's vs. the others

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgasdude

Reaction score
Is there really a major benefit to getting the Perlick faucets vs. the others??? Please explain. Thanks in advance for the info!!

I have had both Perlick as well as "cheap" faucets. Both work well but the Perlick's seem to last a little better and flow smoother. They do look a little better whatever that's worth.

It's much like a Mercedes vs. a Yugo. Yes, there is that much of a difference in handling, performance, maintenance and appearance. The bottom line is your budget. Faucets will last indefinitely if properly cared for. IOW, they will be a one time purchase and they will be around for a very long time. I would go with ordinary cheap faucets if I were building a jockey box for occasional use maybe, but for everyday use in my home, I would go with the Perlick's for sure.

The big difference is whether or not they will stick between beers.

With perlicks, you can go a couple days between pours, and they won't stick at all. With standard faucets (unless you're religious about cleaning the faucets after each pour) will typically stick after sitting for a day or 2 without being used. I used to have standard faucets, and had one stick so bad that a friend of mine actually broke the internal lever on the faucet trying to get it unstuck. I've heard of this happening to a few others as well. Basically, if you've got the money, spend it on the perlicks.

do yourself a favor and buy Perlicks! It's not even a question IF you'll buy them eventually(you will) so you may as well save some time and spend money only once.

The standard faucets I use for picnics absolutely stick after 24hours. Not to the point where the handle is ready to break but to the point where they suck and I hate them. With my Perlicks I can got a week or even two without any care to them and there will be absolutely no sticking or leaking valves. I have two more to purchase to "finish" my keezer.

yeah, I upgraded my tower to a dual head. One is a perlick, the other is a generic. The generic sticks a day after a pour. The perlick has yet to stick. Only thing I didn't like is with a heavy tap handle the perlick seemed to move too easy. But once beer is forced up into the tap, it isn't an issue.

The big difference is whether or not they will stick between beers.

With perlicks, you can go a couple days between pours, and they won't stick at all. With standard faucets (unless you're religious about cleaning the faucets after each pour) will typically stick after sitting for a day or 2 without being used. I used to have standard faucets, and had one stick so bad that a friend of mine actually broke the internal lever on the faucet trying to get it unstuck. I've heard of this happening to a few others as well. Basically, if you've got the money, spend it on the perlicks.

I am experiencing this exact problem right now. I got the cheap chrome/brass faucets and they stick like a m'fer. I really wish I would have forked out the extra $$$ for the Perlicks. I just didn't have the budget at the time.

Not to hijack...how about shanks? What is teh advantage of SS (other than cleaning)? I can't imagine they affect performance, correct?

John

Just to clarify, Perlick makes the forward seal faucet that everyone here assumes you are talking about and is what we recommend, 425 (discontinued), 525, and 575 series. Perlick ALSO makes a traditional rear seal faucet, 307, 408, and 410 series. If you are buying online make sure you are getting what you expect.

i've only had perlicks. i've never had any of them stick, ever. or even feel like they were sticking.

I had the standard generic cheap faucets for a year. I try to avoid drinking during the week so by the weekend both of the taps would be stuck shut. Last x-mas my wife got me Perlicks and I cannot believe the difference!! There have been times where a beer may have not been poured for a month but there has never ever been a stuck tap! Do yourself a favor and just get the Perlicks and be done with it. That is sage advice someone gave me now im passing it on.

+1 for forward sealing Perlicks

Johnodon,

the advantage of ss shanks in my opinion is that they will never have chrome plating flake off. It may cost a little more at the get go but you will never need to upgrade in the future. I just ordered a 525 and stainless shank for my dads basement fridge. Now my beer will be on tap in two locations!

Ha, I'd be happy with plastic shanks (though I don't think they make such an abomination) but when I buy faucets I'm going with forward sealing Perlicks just because they don't stick.

Forward seal Perlicks FTW.

I had some crappy rear seals before the Perlicks. Same as everyone else - sticky as hell. Once I got the Perlicks I threw them in the bin. I wasn't going to give those things away. Not even my worst enemy deserves them... They are that bad...

Ha, I'd be happy with plastic shanks (though I don't think they make such an abomination) ...

They do in fact make plastic shanks, primarily for wine dispensing. This page do a find on "Plastic Wine Shank". They are not that much cheaper than stainless though, and stainless is fine for wine as well.

Friends don't let friends pour from cheap faucets!

Yeah, kegging setups cost some coin to get into as it is, and Perlicks cost substantially more than the cheapo version, but this is a case of you get what you pay for. I own 4 of the 525ss and have a buddy that has the 575ss...we wouldn't go back. Night and day.

do yourself a favor and buy Perlicks! It's not even a question IF you'll buy them eventually(you will) so you may as well save some time and spend money only once.

He is absolutely right. I bought a "regular" faucet for my first keggerator, but when I upgraded I didn't even use that one, but instead bought 2 new perlicks. Work great, better pour.

Cheers.

keep an eye on this seller on ebay, he sells used perlicks all the time...I bought 4 - brass 425's from him for under $25 each and they were perfect

my personal favorite are the 425's even though they are hard to get, its nice being able to unscrew the front faucet piece for cleaning...I really don't know why they changed the design

another +1 for forward sealing Perlicks

I bought a dual tower that came with the standard crappy faucets thinking...it doesnt matter. after 6 months i finally forked out the cash and I couldnt be happier. not only do you not get the sticky faucet syndrome, but I find they pour incredibly smooth. It is such a major difference. I really could not believe the difference in my pours. spend the dough...it's worth every penny! :mug:

Still the best place to buy taps from and the best price by far I've found is here: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/PERLICK_FORWARD_SEAL_FAUCET_WI_P1476.cfm

I'm not affilatied with Wiliams Brewing just a very satisfied customer. If their web site says they are out of stock, just give them a call they will update the site and get em out to you as they build the kits in house.

Only thing to be aware of is the shank is only 4 1/8" on the premade kits, measure your application for proper length, if you need longer shanks just call them I'm sure they will build longer kits for a few $$ more.

This is what I'm doing with mine, and this many taps the cheapies are a no go I can't drink that much beer in a day, every day,

Build Log

Back