8 gallon brew pot....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just barely, and a lot depends on the width vs depth ratio I'm told. I have an 8 gallon aluminum pot that I did three full boils in. Before I moved up to a keggle. Once and only once was I able to keep it from boiling over. I didn't try the silicon drops though.

My 32 quart turkey fryer pot works great with the use of foam control drops. I use the baby gas drops from the store that I bought 5 years ago. My biggest preboil batch was 7.5 gallons. I use 1 dropper full of drops and have not had a boil over yet. There's even room for a 50 ft immersion chiller when it's time to chill.

so it looks like I'm gonna need a bigger kettle, man this sucks I just transfered to arizona from washington and I have a couple kegs sitting in storage that I forgot to grab.

My 2 cents says you'll be good.... I recently got this 8 gallon kettle and have done a couple 5 gallon full boil batches in it, and had no troubles. I really like it, but kinda wish i could do a 10 gallon batch now... heh.... but for 5, or probably even 5 1/2, i think you'll be good to go.... :mug:

Like said above it will work but Id get some of the drops to have just in case. a drop or 2 works wonders!

I've been brewing in an 8 gal for a while now. My pot is pretty wide so perhaps that helps. I have hit my numbers or better on almost every batch.

I used to brew in my 7g canning crock. It was MORE THAN SUFFICIENT! Hell, I brewed a 6.5 gallon batch in it - without boil-overs. You guys don't need nearly 3 gallons of headspace. 8 gallons will be fine for your 5-5.5 gallon batches. The only time I have ever had boil-overs is when I left the pot alone before it had settled into its full-rolling boil. I guess people are getting too lazy to stand around their pot while it starts to boil nowadays, and adjust to maintain a full boil without boil-over.

so it looks like I'm gonna need a bigger kettle, man this sucks I just transfered to arizona from washington and I have a couple kegs sitting in storage that I forgot to grab.

NO! You don't need a bigger kettle. Make do with the more than adequate kettle you have now. Unless you plan on increasing your batch size to 10g? (it'll be sooner, rather than later)

will it work for 5-5 1/2 gallon batches?

Yes. I use a 30 qt. SS Proctor-Silex cheapie pot, and it will do a 6.5 gallon boil very well. Of course, I use Fermcap-S when the boil starts, 5-6 drops does the trick. Absent employing something to suppress boilover, a larger pot would be in order.

I used to brew in my 7g canning crock. It was MORE THAN SUFFICIENT! Hell, I brewed a 6.5 gallon batch in it - without boil-overs. You guys don't need nearly 3 gallons of headspace. 8 gallons will be fine for your 5-5.5 gallon batches. The only time I have ever had boil-overs is when I left the pot alone before it had settled into its full-rolling boil. I guess people are getting too lazy to stand around their pot while it starts to boil nowadays, and adjust to maintain a full boil without boil-over.

You don't have anywhere near 3 gallons of headspace with an 8 gallon pot. If I'm doing a 5 g batch, I'm starting out with about 7g of wort. After expansion and all that, its much less than 1g of head space.

I don't think I could do a 6.5g batch in an 8g pot, and not have all sorts of DMS issues.

I agree, you don't need a bigger kettle. I brew in an 8 gal. stainless kettle from morebeer. I routinely collect 7 to 7.5 gal of wort and bring it to a full boil with no problems. I had problems with boil-over until I learned two things. First, pay close attention when near or at a boil. Second, finesse and reduce the propane flow when approaching boiling temp. If you're using a turkey fryer-type flame source, you shouldn't have to crank it up to maintain a good, rolling boil.

I also begin the boil after I collect the first two gallons of runoff, so I get some evaporation before the kettle is full. Maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of a gallon.

+1 about what sick said. I also use an 8 gallon kettle to boil in, just need to be careful not to boil over. I've never had any problems and probably won't.

I use a standard turkey fryer pot and have had boil-overs. Of course I also HAVEN'T had boil overs too. If I use drops, no problem. If not, sometimes it wants to boil over. I usually don't mind sitting there with my hand on the valve, but sometimes even with no drops, it just boils away no problems (until I turn my head, then it erupts...)

And, I usually have to drop the flame to almost nothing to keep a rolling boil once it gets going. I'd like a bigger kettle, but for now it's working good.

I don't think I could do a 6.5g batch in an 8g pot, and not have all sorts of DMS issues.

You might want to look at your cooling methods if you get DMS issues. You want to cool it quickly.

I never had DMS issues when boiling that close to capacity. Of course I boil as hard as possible, don't boil off anything close to 40% of what I started with (not that it contributes to the lack of DMS, just never felt the need to waste precious wort - unless I am looking for those caramelized tastes), and chill in 10 minutes, add oxygen and yeast and keep my temps as controlled as possible.

You might want to look at your cooling methods if you get DMS issues. You want to cool it quickly.

DMS has nothing to do with cooling, and everything to do with boiling off the DMS precursors.

And no, I don't have DMS issues.

You have 3 gallons of headspace in an 8 gallon pot while making 6.5 gallon batches? How exactly do you manage that?

Obviously you didn't read my post, and are looking to start stir the pot (pun intended).

I said I had a SEVEN gallon pot and would boil close to capacity. I was stating using his pot with my brewing method I employed he would have CLOSE to 3 gallons of head space. Where did you read that I brewed 6.5 gallons in an 8 gallon pot?

You have 3 gallons of headspace in an 8 gallon pot while making 6.5 gallon batches? How exactly do you manage that?

I brewed a 6.5 gallon batch in it - without boil-overs. You guys don't need nearly 3 gallons of headspace. 8 gallons will be fine for your 5-5.5 gallon batches.

He never said he had 3 gals of head space. ;)

I am at 28 5.5-6.5 gal AG batches in my 8 gal Bayou Classic turkey fryer. A dose of fermcap and it's easy to maintain a rolling boil on 7.5 gals of wort. I would use your system first and see how you like it's performance. All that matters is your preference. :mug:

There has been a lot of discussion on this issue . No Chill kinda throws the cool quickly to avoid DMS out the window .
Which is my point. As does a slower rolling boil not hurt, or a shorter boil. Just because someone says something doesn't mean you will have the same results. I was refuting his point of the hard rolling boil being the only thing to rid a beer of unwanted DMS. But you solidified that point. I guess it can't be read in my replies since it seems I am only saying you need to cool as quickly as possible. Not so, I've also put wort outside overnight without any ill effects as well. I don't make a practice of it, as there are other factors beside DMS I am concerned about. Especially when I was in dusty West Texas.

But to say someone cannot use an 8 gallon pot to brew 5-5.5 gallons of beer is not true at best. Just because you don't do it, and think it can't be done, doesn't make it so. There is lots of stuff we take for granted nowadays that many had to do without back in the day. And to tell someone they can't do something only stifles the creativity we need.

Rereading my posts it seems that I came off as a little arrogant and rude, and I would like to apologize to Synovia. I didn't intend to act so rudely and seem as if I was singling you out. I could of definitely worded my responses a bit differently as to nurture a more constructive dialog. Again, Synovia, I apologize.

Now let's make some beer.

I have an 8 gallon and it is fine. Just be vigilant for the first 15 minutes of the boil as boil-overs can happen. I do not use any boilover control. I boil 5.5 gallon batches as well. Use Beersmith to calculate your boil volumes.

I'm definently gonna give it a go with my 8 gallon pot just to see where I stand, worst case is boil over and a new brew pot in the works

I been using an 8 gallon pot that came with my morebeer kit. It has been perfectly fine for me as well. I've had right around 7 gallons in it to start and yes you do need to pay attention to it but it's not bad. Is it the best no will it work yes. Now I'm almost done building my single tier with keggles so I will have nothing to worry about for my next brew.

I'm using an 8 gallon now, considering buying the 15 gallon (60 quart) Aluminum Bayou pot from Lowes ($99) but I'm cheap. I guess I could always drill a hole and add a spicket to the 8 gallon pot.

I have a 8 g aluminum pot that I am using indoors on my stove (no access to the outside or a propane burner) and I cant get a 6 g boil unless I leave the lid on. I have already insulated it with aluminum backed insulation but it hasn't helped any. can anyone help me out?

But to say someone cannot use an 8 gallon pot to brew 5-5.5 gallons of beer is not true at best. Just because you don't do it, and think it can't be done, doesn't make it so. There is lots of stuff we take for granted nowadays that many had to do without back in the day. And to tell someone they can't do something only stifles the creativity we need.

Now let's make some beer.

I used a 32 quart from the turkey fryer for a long time as do a lot of people on this forum. Did I have a couple of boilovers sure did but it was my fault as I wasn't paying attention to the boil. After the last one my wife said" Why don't you use a spray bottle with water like cooks do?" Never had one again even with a hard boil couple of shots knocks it right down .

Back