How Long in the Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How long can a Homebrew beer last in a bottle before you see a decline in the quality?

Assume the following:
- Brown Bottles
- Dark storage
- Temp:44'F
- Normal Carbonation
- ABV: 4-6%
- IBU's 10-20
- You are temporarily - On the Wagon!!!! :(

there is no single answer to this. I've got a few bottles left from a bunch of batches I brewed about a year ago. Some of those will be excellent, and some will be terrible.

I'd say you have at least a few months before they begin to decline.

If you don't mind me asking... what's all this about being temporarily on the wagon? I'm having trouble processing that. I think the point of getting ON the wagon is to stay there. I don't think people intend to fall off later.

-walker

Walker-san said:
If you don't mind me asking... what's all this about being temporarily on the wagon? I'm having trouble processing that. I think the point of getting ON the wagon is to stay there. I don't think people intend to fall off later.
-walker

Hmmm.. that is strange...

Maybe their employer has begun a temporary random drug test for all employees?

Pregnancy?

Maybe they're a spy and will be heading over to one of those "alcohol is the great satan" countries and will need to stay dry to keep their cover intact?

Walker-San

Maybe I have the saying wrong....

My wife is going through invitro fertilization and I am not supposed to drink. There is a risk to my swimmer quality.

I have been nursing only one or two from each batch since May. I continue to brew only to store whatever I make.

What it boils down to if I can't drink it, I will at least have a ton of it to drink when she finally gets pregnant!!! I will have one hell of a party.

I was wondering if any of it would go bad. I never had this problem before!!!

I will say its nice to have variety to select from out of the fridge.

Just remember self control...no sex until she wants it...

This is one of the Biblical reasons men are not supposed to have sex during the wife's menses. After a week of no sex the male (sprinters) have a better chance over the female (long distance runners) to make it to the finish line first so to speak. Thus creating a better chance to produce male offspring.;)

That's not me speaking, just the Hebrew history book.:D Need more proof, look around at families that have only male or female children. Which ones do you think are having more sex?;)

Schlenkerla said:
Walker-San

Maybe I have the saying wrong....

My wife is going through invitro fertilization and I am not supposed to drink. There is a risk to my swimmer quality.
That's a perfectly acceptable answer in my book!

Best of luck to you with the baby.

-walker

Back