first time AG brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyKim

Reaction score
so after bout 5 months of reading this forum, ive decided to take the dive from extract/part mash to AG.

lots of abundant info here!!

so, i got the last of my shippments yesterday and cant wait till i get it started
:mug:

just wanted to share this. :drunk:

will do...ill take some pics of the equipments i got and when the brew day comes :D

2X 6.5 glass carboy with drilled stopper
3X 3" X 6" thermometer
2X 32qt ss brew kettle/pot
1X 1000ml flask with drilled stopper and airlock

and other accessories(ball valve, 50' copper, etc)

heres a question...ive been looking a reciepes and i guess i cant find anything that catches my eye. so recommendations?
something an average female would like. slightly on the sweeter side perhaps?

i saw some fruit beers(appricot beer).

thanks in advance!

Right on man, all grain brewing is a beautiful thing! As for recipes, it's almost like a rite of passage that you must brew either Edwort's Haus ale or BierMunchers Centennial Blonde. Either one will be a crowd pleaser and the SWMBO will approve. And for your inaugural brew, why not do both??? I mean, you did buy 2 carboys right? They are not "fruity" beers, but they are mighty tasty and go down smooth. You could always try a citrus wheat as well, which has been a favorite around my house. BierMuncher also has a Blue Moon clone that is fantastic and a hit with 'da ladies.

Good luck! Do your research, understand the process, and print out a "brew day sheet" with instructions for yourself. :mug:

Right on man, all grain brewing is a beautiful thing! As for recipes, it's almost like a rite of passage that you must brew either Edwort's Haus ale or BierMunchers Centennial Blonde. Either one will be a crowd pleaser and the SWMBO will approve. And for your inaugural brew, why not do both??? I mean, you did buy 2 carboys right? They are not "fruity" beers, but they are mighty tasty and go down smooth. You could always try a citrus wheat as well, which has been a favorite around my house. BierMuncher also has a Blue Moon clone that is fantastic and a hit with 'da ladies.

Good luck! Do your research, understand the process, and print out a "brew day sheet" with instructions for yourself. :mug:

thanks for the recommendations! will look thru those recipes.
yes i can do both, i was planing on using 1 for primary and 2nd for secondary, but i can always ditch that idea :p

and i have been researching, reading, absorbing just about anything i read. i think i got this to the science lol

thanks for the recommendations! will look thru those recipes.
yes i can do both, i was planing on using 1 for primary and 2nd for secondary, but i can always ditch that idea :p

and i have been researching, reading, absorbing just about anything i read. i think i got this to the science lol

Primary and secondary is great, but really unnecessary for most beers. Enough time in the primary, plus adequate conditioning time in the bottle/keg will yield super clear beer. I like to condition my beer in the bottle or keg rather than tie a fermenter up for weeks with just a single brew.

I too, am switching to All Grain from Extract only brewing. I went to my LHBS last night and picked up all my ingredients. The only thing I am worried about is the temperature. It is only suppose to be 28 degrees here tomorrow. I hope my MLT can hold my temperature for the full 60 minutes. Beyond that, I don't think I should have many issues. There is a lot of information on this site and it has all been very helpfull. The sad part is, I blew my keg of HB last night so I can't RAHAHB. I will have to have some other (commercial) beers during this brew session. On the bright side, I am also kegging a brown tonight so it should be ready to drink next weekend. And my wife asks me why I need so many carboys and kegs, silly woman.

jbeach, good luck with it! if your mlt is from a cooler, should be able to hold the temp. i would try bringing in the MLT during the strike and mash and take it outside for sparging(fly sparging im guessing?)

i have a question to all, what do you guys use to drill a hole out on a SS kettle??? besides a uni-bit(step bits)...used to have one but not paying $30 again for something ill use once or twice. i need 3/4" hole for my themometer and ball valve.

For drilling out the hole for a keggle, I used a 7/8" bi-metal hole saw. For lubrication and to keep the bit cool you can spray a bit of Pam on the area. I recommend drilling a pilot hole first. The hole saws are much cheaper, I think it was this one from Lowe's:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=296766-28303-12214.0&lpage=none
082472122145md.jpg

hole punch would be great if i had access to one lol.
the bi-metal circular hole saw worked great!!

so, got 1 kettle installed with a 1/2" ball valve and a 3" thermometer; cooler converter MLT also with 1/2" ball valve and 3" TM...problem is, i have a little crack that i have to patch up..any suggestions? silicone?

1 more kettle to drill hole and install the same thing.

and also just ordered the grain bills, hops and yeast for the centennial blonde and few other things from austin hhs.com

Back