bottling disasters (please be gentle I'm new lol)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I keep getting a lot of over carbonation On my stouts. On my first attempt after 3 weeks of fermentation with an original gravity of 1.07 and a final gravity of 1.016 I added 5oz to a 5gallon batch and lost 90% of the beer when I open the bottles after 4 weeks in the bottle.

On the second attempt of the same stout same gravity I tried 2.5oz of sugar for 5gallons and I had the same result.

I then tried no added sugar and still got the same result.

I always make sure the gravity hasn't changed in 3-4 days before bottling and have given a slow stir to try and make sure it was completely finished fermenting. This is probably just a stupid rookie mistake but any advice is greatly appreciated!

Are you sure it was 5 gallons both times? Did you make sure your bottles were clean, no debris or dirt on the inside, and sanitized. Where the hydro samples at the same temp each time you took a reading? Are you using a priming sugar calculator?

Hey guys,
I keep getting a lot of over carbonation On my stouts. On my first attempt after 3 weeks of fermentation with an original gravity of 1.07 and a final gravity of 1.016 I added 5oz to a 5gallon batch and lost 90% of the beer when I open the bottles after 4 weeks in the bottle.

On the second attempt of the same stout same gravity I tried 2.5oz of sugar for 5gallons and I had the same result.

I then tried no added sugar and still got the same result.

I always make sure the gravity hasn't changed in 3-4 days before bottling and have given a slow stir to try and make sure it was completely finished fermenting. This is probably just a stupid rookie mistake but any advice is greatly appreciated!

I am sorry but it sounds like the classic gusher. Bacterial infection. Unless the beer is a ways from it's finish, major foaming is just not going to happen. The wort/beer needs sugar and yeast to create carbonation in the bottle. After opening, does it foam up in the bottle or just when pouring?

5 gallons each time. No debris and bottles sanitized. Same og and fg. Got the sugar calculations from one of the forums but it might not have been a reliable source. It could be the temperature? What is the ideal temperature it should be at? I keep them at about 22 Celsius...

I am sorry but it sounds like the classic gusher. Bacterial infection. Unless the beer is a ways from it's finish, major foaming is just not going to happen. The wort/beer needs sugar and yeast to create carbonation in the bottle. After opening, does it foam up in the bottle or just when pouring?

+1 sounds like a gusher. I've had my share of them. Sanitation errors are so easy. Just try to keep everything sanitary (including things like keeping your fermentor open for a limit amount of time when taking reading and decreasing drafts) and use something like this to calculate priming sugar: http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Also you can try sterilizing the bottles in an oven instead of sanitizing them.

Will do! Is it a problem if krausen doesn't form in the fermenter? The beer is still fermenting but there's no sign of krausen..

Back