Pitched Roeslare, but how do I know it is working?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNinja1

Reaction score
Like the title says, I pitched an old pack of roeslare (it was from May, but all the LHBS had) about a week ago. Is there any way to tell if this is working? There is no pellicle, and the airlock is dead still. Is there some other kinds of signs to look for? How fast does it eat the sugars? If I took a hydro reading today then in 2 days from now, would I be able to see a change? Thanks guys!

Did you ferment the beer out before pitching the Roeselare? Gravity drops with Brett and pals are very slow, it can take weeks to see a measurable drop in gravity even when they are working. Not surprising if you don't see any activity for a few weeks/months assuming it went in after primary fermentation.

While I like Roeselare it often needs some help, especially if it is pitched into already fermented beer. I’d suggest tossing in the dregs from any tasty sour beers you drink over the next few months (good insurance if your pack was old as well).

I pitched it around 1.022, so nearly finished. Good to know Im not missing anything. Gives me a good excuse to buy some other beers too...now just to find a place that sells them. Thanks for the feedback....your site is awesome too! Ive spent a lot of time on it before I started this first batch.

Latest posts

Back