Does anyone have malt analysis pages?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njordan1784

Reaction score
Does anyone have or know where I can find grain analysis/ Malt analysis pages similar to what Briess has available on their website for the rest (Or any other) maltster? Here is an example: http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_2RowBrewersMalt.pdf

I'm specifically interested in the inclusion of the S/T (Or Kolback Index) and Diastatic power in Degrees Litner.

If I can get my hands on this information for all of the grains from each maltster I will be able to create a great go-to resource for ingredient info for everyone. I already have a hop page started here: www.homebrewresource.com

Hope someone knows where to find this info! Thanks!

There tends to be a fair bit of variation from crop to crop on some of these parameters, so the maltsters tend not to publish them. Most list target parameters, however, for factors that they can control more directly. This usually just includes things like color, extraction, and moisture content. General information is usually on either the maltster's or the distributor's website, though sometimes you have to dig. If you want more specifics than they offer there, you'll probably have to inquire about specific batches.

I know they have them available when you buy a sack of grain for that particularly batch/lot. I don't know where else to get them, if not from the place you buy your grain, though!

Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping to find averages or targets or something that would provide at least general info about the malts. I'm going to start with all the information I have and just keep digging to fill in the missing information. Though I have to wonder... Why would Briess post the nearly complete info but NO other malsters do? I guess I can always hope some reps from the other maltsters stumble on the site and realize their products aren't fully represented like their competition.

I emailed Northern Brewer and Midwest supplies (I typically buy from both) but was not even graced with an acknowledgement of my inquiry. Oh well.

There is still a lot of info I can start with. I'll get a start on it this weekend after (or during) brewing a Simcoe IPA.

Either of you like the site? Think you'll find it useful?

Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping to find averages or targets or something that would provide at least general info about the malts. I'm going to start with all the information I have and just keep digging to fill in the missing information. Though I have to wonder... Why would Briess post the nearly complete info but NO other malsters do? I guess I can always hope some reps from the other maltsters stumble on the site and realize their products aren't fully represented like their competition.

I emailed Northern Brewer and Midwest supplies (I typically buy from both) but was not even graced with an acknowledgement of my inquiry. Oh well.

There is still a lot of info I can start with. I'll get a start on it this weekend after (or during) brewing a Simcoe IPA.

Either of you like the site? Think you'll find it useful?

Oh, you can probably find averages but it's not accurate since it varies quite a bit. I ask for a malt analysis sheet (if I remember) when I buy a sack of malt.

I don't think it'd be very useful for me, but others may.

To be honest, I actually kind of find it misleading for Briess to post those numbers. Diastatic power measurements, in particular, swing significantly from crop to crop. If you're just looking for averages, you may as well just put 150ºLintner for your light base malts, 50ºLintner for your kilned base malts, and 0 for everything else.

Always nice to have new resources. There's not much on your website yet, but if you assemble all the info together coherently and can offer something that the other lists don't, you'll find users. Good luck!

Back