Racking Canadian IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Dog

Reaction score
Just started a Morgans Canadian IPA. My OG was .42@19c. I have never racked off a batch before and was wondering the pros. I assume the cons would be infection and variation of flavors of some kind??
My second question is that the directions stated to have the yeast @a temp 22c - 30c. Would it be beneficial if I kept my temp lower than recommendations?
I would appreciate any input or previous experiences.
Thanks

30 is very high, sounds like a recipe for a nasty brew. ale yeasts are generally best kept in the 17-21 range. what are you going to rack it off to exactly? pint glasses? why not let it ferment to completion and then bottle or keg it

I will keep fermet temp as low as possible. Around 20c. Once the initial foam is gone from the top. Around 3-4 days. I am going to rack into another fermenter till fermentation is complete or maybe longer.. Then I'll bottle using bulk priming techniques.

I will keep fermet temp as low as possible. Around 20c. Once the initial foam is gone from the top. Around 3-4 days. I am going to rack into another fermenter till fermentation is complete or maybe longer.. Then I'll bottle using bulk priming techniques.

Bzzzzzz! Wrong answer!

You do NOT remove beer from primary until primary is done. This takes at least 7 days!

If you rack at day 3, you can expect crappier beer, and possibly a stuck fermentation since you removed all the yeast.

Go read all the beginner stickies and re-think your process.

malkore said:
Bzzzzzz! Wrong answer!

You do NOT remove beer from primary until primary is done. This takes at least 7 days!

If you rack at day 3, you can expect crappier beer, and possibly a stuck fermentation since you removed all the yeast.

Tad harsh dude.

He's right tho. Read the stickies, wealth of knowledge there.

malkore said:
Bzzzzzz! Wrong answer!

How can it be crappier? The instructions say to rack after 3-4 days

dinnerstick said:
why exactly?

To rack?. That's what my instructions say... I understand racking is after primary fermentation...here is were I go back to my first question..

the instructions will get you ~beer. to make good beer you need to ferment well, and castrating the yeast at halftime isn't going to help. get it to a reasonable temp and try to forget about it for at least a week, when it's completely done fermenting as far as you can tell, give it a couple more days, then it's probably ready to bottle. that's what i would do anyways. if you want to rack it to a secondary vessel, search around the forum, there are endless arguments on the harms vs merits of doing so. for me, for a 'normal' beer, there are few benefits and many potential harms, so i don't do it

Brew_Dog said:
To rack?. That's what my instructions say... I understand racking is after primary fermentation...here is were I go back to my first question..

Primary fermentation is not done after 3 to 4 days. it continues for several days afterwards. Racking to secondary any sooner than 7 to 10, might result in a number of problems that you don't want.

The stickies portion of the site has all the reasons and explanations.
I don't touch mine until the ten day mark.take a gravity reading, cap it up, and let it chill for another week. If I rack to secondary its only after two weeks, if not it stays in primary for 21 and bottle it.

There are so many different opinions on this that it can get confusing. in the end if it comes out tasting like beer, then you did a good job.

Back