Stupid lids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Reaction score
Anyone else have an issue with the lids of the buckets breaking? I have 4 buckets and 7 lids or which I think all but 2 have some degree of a rip around the rim.. I wanted to do 2 batches last nigth but could only do 1 since I didn't have enough lids.. Back to using Carboys I guess.. Use the bucket for changing the oil in my cars!

I've been using the same three buckets for 7-8 years without a break. Have you been using a lid puller?

I never lock the lid down. Not necessary.

Some, just lay a sheet of plexiglass over top so's they can see the whatsits inside.

I have two buckets that are nearly ten years old and they show no sign of wear and no problem with broken lids or bad seals. Just lucky I guess.

I never lock the lid down. Not necessary.

Some, just lay a sheet of plexiglass over top so's they can see the whatsits inside.

I lay the top on until the majority of the fermintation is done then I snap in down.. I can maybe see using a piece of plexi but I would think that a regular bucket lid would let some air in once the fermintation was done..

Maybe I'm to hard on the tops, I do tend to brake alot of things. :cross:

oh and David I haven't been using a lid puller, never really needed one.. I'd try one if it would save my lids..

Maybe source some different buckets, I have some 90 mil buckets that I gotform a local bulk container dealer, I swear a gorilla couldn't harm them.

Broke a new lid 1st batch. They just don't make stuff like they used to....

-OCD

The lids on my fermenting buckets are very thick and there is no way I could rip them by hand. Yeah it sounds like you need a different source.

I have the bucket and lid from my 1st batch. it's still holding on.. but the other bucket I've bought over the years are the ones breaking.. I like them better but whats the point... I guess it's back to the other ones

...I would think that a regular bucket lid would let some air in once the fermintation was done..

Don't forget that your beer at this point is still under a blanket of CO2 that was created by the yeast.

Unless you are sloshing or mixing, air won't have a chance to reach the beer surface. It's the flys you've gotta watch for.

Don't forget that your beer at this point is still under a blanket of CO2 that was created by the yeast.

Unless you are sloshing or mixing, air won't have a chance to reach the beer surface. It's the flys you've gotta watch for.

Even if you leave the beer in the primary for 2-3 weeks?
I normally leave it for 3-4 days then snap it in place.
My bucket are normally placed in my fer. cabinet and not touched until it's kegging day, some time I have to jocky them around to make them fit but thats it.

Back