first brew help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishoe

Reaction score
hi guys i put down my first batch 3 days ago im using brew craft kit can it started to bubble out the air lock on 2nd day about every 3 sec now on day 4 there is no bubbles coming from air lock :( the temp has stayed the same all though 21 c the beer is cloudy as and no action anymore what do i do :eek:

relax there is nothing wrong with your beer. I am sure REVVY will chime in here sometime. and say "STOP using your airlock as a guage to fermentation" or something to that sort. Give it 2 more weeks then take a gravity reading. everything will turn out fine.

Congrats on your first batch!

Sounds like your beer is fine. Airlock activity will halt when fermentation is done, but the only way to check if fermentation is done is with a hydrometer reading. Readings that are near your expected final gravity and that stay the same for a few days in a row indicate that fermentation is done.

The beer still being cloudy just means that a lot of the yeast is still in suspension. If fermentation has really ended, then it will clear up soon and the beer will turn dark.

-Steve

it's quite possible that the initial phase of primary fermentation is complete, don't sweat it. definitely don't use the airlock as a sign of fermentation. like said, let it go for 2 weeks, then take some gravity readings. if you care to secondary, do so after gravity readings tell you it's done, or bottle/keg.

i have a pack of brewcraft finings says to add to beer when fermentation is complete (ingredients : gelatine ) should i do this now

i have a pack of brewcraft finings says to add to beer when fermentation is complete (ingredients : gelatine ) should i do this now

You need to check if fermentation is done with your hydrometer readings before adding the finings.

-Steve

Just out of curiosity, where do you get the estimated FG from? I read through all the info that came with my extract kit from NB and it gives a range for OG but I don't see FG.

just checked my screw lid and i got 1/4 turn on it and the air lock has started to bubble again, will this had affected my beer will it be ok?? :rockin:

Back