Add yeast for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I just finished dry hopping my Rye IPA and transfered to a secondary where I plan on using polyclar to clear the beer. The only times I've used polyclar were when I was kegging. I'm wondering if the polyclar will drop all the yeast I would need for bottling, and if so, how much yeast I should pitch into the bottling bucket. Anyone have any experiece with this, or thoughts?
Thanks as always!

Never dealt with it, but I'd imagine you'll be fine. Even if you can't see it, there is still yeast cavorting around in there unless it has been sitting for months or you have an extremely flocculant yeast (and even in that case, I'd imagine you'd still have enough to carbonate). It may just take a little longer on the time scale to fully carbonate. If you are worried, a small sprinkling of (Lager) yeast the day before bottling is good insurance.

Dry lager yeast I'd imagine? I brewed with Pacmac yeast purchased from Austin Homebrew Supply, so I'm not too sure of it's flocculance. And it has been sitting for 5 weeks with primary, dry hopping, and secondary.

For bottling any yeast will do because the flavor is set. You only need to add 3 or so grams of a high flocculating dry yeast. That's just things I've read. Today was the first time I've done it with about 1/4 pack of T-58.

BrauKaiser said:
Because the yeast has been inactive for such a long time and only little yeast is in suspension anyway, it is recommended to add fresh yeast at bottling time to ensure consistent carbonation in a reasonable time frame. The fresh yeast can come from either dry yeast (1/4 pack should be enough), yeast sediment from the primary fermenter of another batch or Kraeusen. The type of yeast doesn't matter much since the flavor has already been defined during the fermentation and lagering process. Any clean well flocculating ale or lager yeast will do.

This is about lagers but I think it still applies.

I think polyclar will affect the yeast. Really since you are using a secondary, I'd just skip the polyclar. I've had brillantly clear beer coming out of the primary after 4 weeks.

Not me. All my beers come out cloudy for some reason. I almost always use a secondary and have tried crash cooling. I'm a fan of polyclar.

At any rate you really don't need much. The reason I go with Lager yeast usually is because then I can just send them to the cellar (where temps are lower). A sprinkling is all you need. I have a pack of Lager yeast that has been opened for about a year, and I call on it whenever I have a high gravity Ale that has been sitting for months prior to bottling. Usually worst case scenario is the beer takes a very long time to carbonate (months). I have experienced this.

Back