too late to boost alc content?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevy_kev

Reaction score
I brewed a vanilla weizen a week ago that came out with a corrected OG of 1.036. It had a VERY active fermentation (blew off my airlock) for a week and last night I transfered it to the secondary with a gravity reading of 1.009 @ 68 Degrees. I think the ABV is somewhere are 3.3% now. I knew my SG was low but figured I wouldnt worry about it since it would be a good hot weather brew. But now I am second guessing myself, something in the 4 range would be good, 3 may be too low.

I added a vanilla bean that was split, scrapped and soaked in about 2oz of vodka for about 30 minutes. Will the bean and vodka supply any more fermentables to boost the alcohol content? Is there any other good way to boost the alcohol now that it is in the secondary and off the trub?

You could add some DME/LME (barley or wheat) to boost the alcohol. But you may be better of leaving it alone and bew a new batch. Oftentimes messing with the beer just screwes it up even more.

Kai

kai, thats what I was afraid of, messing it up and making it undrinkable. It actually taste pretty good, even with its low alcohol and being warm and flat. I am going to NC in August, maybe I will save it for then so I can drink on the beach all day and not get too bombed in the sun.

I may just have to do a few boiler makers with it, I even have vanilla vodka I could use!! :)

Back