Looking for a Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am currently building an All Grain System out of 3 empty Kegs. I know have the empty kegs, and I have begun to do mini mashes so that I can get somewhat accustomed to mashing. Anywho, my next purchase is going to be a Mill. I have a line from a friend for one, but it is pricey. I figured I'd ask here as to what type of mill you use, if you like it, where you got it, and if you'd buy it again. Also, I am leaning towards a mill with both of the rollers being on a gear as I feel that a free spooling grinder can sieze while grinding and I do not want to have to screw around with the mill while I am grinding. So, thoughts on Mills?

I have a grain gobbler from morebeer.com. It's pretty good. I have minor gripes. It does malted grain great, but has trouble with unmalted...but then, most mills do. The rollers and mechanics of it are nicely put together, but I really want to build a more suitable framework for it...nice wood hopper, place for the bucket underneath, etc.

It tears through the grain though...maybe 5 pounds per minute? One roller is attached directly to the drive that is driven by your drill, and the other turns because the grain is forced between them. Fully adjustable grind.

Cheers :D

slight hyjacking....

anybody every built a small mill? Doesn't seem like it would be too hard...

-walker

we built a mill walker. lemme dig up the link for the one we did.......

http://brewery.org/brewery/library/woodmill.html

we had a handle on it, but cut that off after a couple of batches. we just use a drill now. it works great. i am however thinking about seeing if a machine shop can make me a knurled roller for it instead of the wooden roller. we just used a rolling pin and cut groves into it.

subwyking said:
i am however thinking about seeing if a machine shop can make me a knurled roller for it instead of the wooden roller. we just used a rolling pin and cut groves into it.
I've gotta imagine you could find one of these already made up. I know when my family had our lumber mill we sometimes used knurled rollers for conveyors. I'm not sure if it would be the exact size you need, however, or how much they are.

Back