I used a measuring cup to take sample for hydro-meter? Good or Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlreadyXDead

Reaction score
So basically i forgot to take an OG reading. Its only been a little over 24 hours so i decided i would take a reading. I'm new to home brewing. I took my sample by using a measuring cup. I let the cup soak in warm water with a bit of bleach and then rinsed it. I noticed krausen already forming on top. So i scooped up some of the brew to test. The krausen started to disappear. It almost appeared to be flat again.

My questions are, was it ok to use a measuring cup? It has a handle so i figured it would be alright because i'm not touching the beer.

Also, the fact that the krausen kind of disappeared makes me wonder if i had done wrong and possibly contaminated the batch?

It did taste nice though :)

Cheers!

If the water you rinsed the bleach of was sterile you should be OK. But the sample you took will not tell you much useful. It is not OG and far from FG. I would suggest that you get a wine thief or baster to get your samples and that you get some Starsan or Iodaphor for sanitizing your equipment.

Thanks guys! Ya next time i need to take an OG, I need to get into that habit. I used sodium bicarbonate to sanitize all pieces of equipment that i use. I'm saving the rest of the bag for my secondary. So i used a little bleach instead.

Please do yourself a large favor. Go buy some StarSan ASAP. Chlorine bleach is a booger to get completely rinsed off and just a little bit of residue will affect the flavor of your brew.

Once my bucket is sealed, I like to leave it that way until it's done. If I forget to get a sample for the OG reading before pitching, oh well. :drunk:

If you brew from a kit of extract, the OG that the kit maker shows is the correct OG unless you really made a mistake with the amount of water. If you are brewing with only grains and no extract, it's nice to take the OG to determine how well you extracted the sugars but not essential. The final gravity is the critical one because that is how you tell if the yeast have consumed all the sugars so you don't bottle too early and have the yeast make more CO2 than your bottles can contain.

Back