Married not even a half-year...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
and already managed to "break" my wedding band. Damn thing fell off my finger and a v-shaped chunk popped right out. Durable tungsten my arse!

The exact same thing happened to me within the same time period. You can't scratch the f*$#er, but it's brittle as hell. I just say it adds more character and symbolizes the working through the hard times...also that I'm cheap.

CreamyGoodness said:
and already managed to "break" my wedding band. Damn thing fell off my finger and a v-shaped chunk popped right out. Durable tungsten my arse!

Did it drop in the kettle? :)

Damn! Got a picture? I thought those were supposed to be indestructible! I wish I had gone slightly smaller with my ring as its pretty loose...guess I just need to drink more to gain some weigh the fingers

I have two friends who discovered that if you bounce a tungsten ring just right on the floor, they bounce really high! Then, they both broke them... One was married for a month...

This is why I got Titanium. Sure it scratches but it's not brittle like Tungsten. That and my wife (a nurse) knew of some fella who came into her hospital with a crushed ring finger and they hospital could not get his tungsten carbide ring cut off in time to save his finger which was later amputated do to the ring cutting off blood flow to the swollen finger. Only a few tools exist that can cut off a tungsten carbide ring.

And one of them is a 4 foot fall from the floor? haha - I just don't understand how it can crack like that, but can't be cut/sawed off

Just think about this: A diamond is the hardest mineral on earth...and yet it can be cracked or shattered fairly easily.

With metals I believe they call it "malleability". More malleable metals can be scratched easily but are very hard to break since they will bend before cracking.

Just think about this: A diamond is the hardest mineral on earth...and yet it can be cracked or shattered fairly easily.

With metals I believe they call it "malleability". More malleable metals can be scratched easily but are very hard to break since they will bend before cracking.

Ah, that makes sense

image-3972246298.jpg

Same thing happened to me. It's been 2ish months...

my tungeston ring broke after about 3 months.

just cracked in half. went with white gold after that.

Platinum works for me. Though it sits at home in the gun safe, I cannot stand to wear jewelry. My wife knows that I am committed to her in my heart and that is good enough for her.

My "theory" was that I would wear a heavy ring. Commitment is a heavy thing, and I want a constant reminder. If some pretty little thing has her hand on my knee and I'm thinking "well... maybe this once" I want a heavy freaking hunk of metal on my hand as a none-too-subtle reminder.

Platinum works for me. Though it sits at home in the gun safe, I cannot stand to wear jewelry. My wife knows that I am committed to her in my heart and that is good enough for her.

My "theory" was that I would wear a heavy ring. Commitment is a heavy thing, and I want a constant reminder. If some pretty little thing has her hand on my knee and I'm thinking "well... maybe this once" I want a heavy freaking hunk of metal on my hand as a none-too-subtle reminder.

Yea, I agree with the point of a ring is to wear to remind you of your commitment.

I also have a tungsten ring and although cutting it off may be difficult without the right tools; I was told that if they need to get it off to get it cold or freeze it and smack it with a hammer and it will just shatter. Titanium won't do that, have to have something to cut it off.

I also have a tungsten ring and although cutting it off may be difficult without the right tools; I was told that if they need to get it off to get it cold or freeze it and smack it with a hammer and it will just shatter. Titanium won't do that, have to have something to cut it off.

So if you "freeze" the ring on your finger...and then smash the ring with a sledge hammer...what happens to your finger? :p

Dunno, but I'm sure they could fix the swelling and any lacerations caused from breaking the ring once they had it off. Could mean the difference between having a scar and losing a finger, I'll take the scar.

+1 for white gold.

Early in our marriage we lived in a condo 9 floors up. It was fall so I was cleaning up the balcony. I remember it was quite cold outside, my fingers were freezing, and I was wiping the top of the a/c unit with my hand. To my horror my ring flew off as I was wiping (a bit oversized I guess, and my fingers shrunk due to the cold), and I made a mad dash to the railing with superhuman speed.

I squinted and saw the ring from 9 floors up hit the ground and rolled towards the empty waterless pool.

I remember avoiding eye contact with my wife as I snuck downstairs to retrieve what was left of the ring...

Luckily the super let me into the pool area and I found the ring in the pool! I nearly twisted my ankle like an idiot jumping in the deep end, but the ring was fine - not a scratch!

True story.

White gold here as well. Almost 9 years and still in one piece.
It does spend most of its time sitting in my truck or at the house since I don't wear it while working and because of that am in the habit of forgetting to put it on other times. But I know I'm married and committed, I don't need to have it on my hand to remind me of that.

But I know I'm married and committed, I don't need to have it on my hand to remind me of that.

I think we can all agree that we are committed to our wives. Having the ring on your hand isn't so much to remind yourself that you are committed to one woman but to remind the other women in your day to day life of that fact... :tank:

Jayhem said:
I think we can all agree that we are committed to our wives. Having the ring on your hand isn't so much to remind yourself that you are committed to one woman but to remind the other women in your day to day life of that fact... :tank:

I think my looks do more to keep them away than my ring would. :)

Am I the only guy here who actually lost his first wedding ring? That went over well. Worked out in the end though, the new one was an upgrade, because by that time I actually had some money. And I've had it for 15+ years now. It never comes off. I learned my lesson.

White Gold, and it doesn't get removed. I haven't misplaced or lost it ever (yet - knock on wood) because I did have to have it off for several months in 2010 for surgeries.

Since we're chatting, mines made from a 1967 New Zealand .50 cent coin. Cheap silver, but you can read the year and writing that was on the edge of the coin on the inside of the ring. NZ is a special place for myself and my wife.

A buddy of mine is a motorcycle engineer and he had a little groove cut into his wedding band to make it look like a piston ring. It's subtle, but very cool.

I've had my titanium ring going on 6 years now, and I open beer bottles with it all the time, lol

Barely a nick. It's also light as a .... titanium ring, lol

IXVolt said:
I've had my titanium ring going on 6 years now, and I open beer bottles with it all the time, lol

Barely a nick. It's also light as a .... titanium ring, lol

Oh ya, don't do this with white gold...

Am I the only guy here who actually lost his first wedding ring? That went over well. Worked out in the end though, the new one was an upgrade, because by that time I actually had some money. And I've had it for 15+ years now. It never comes off. I learned my lesson.

I'm on my 3rd ring.

First one was stolen when my home was burglarized. I got yelled at because 'if I was wearing it, it wouldn't have been stolen'. I can't argue with that logic.

The second one broke.

The current one sits in my wife's jewelry box. Every few months she takes it out and makes me wear it until I can sneak it back.

I hate wearing jewelry, but she keeps buying replacements.

Lost my first wedding ring within a month too; Wife wasn't pissed as we were both together cleaning up an old little ladies backyard.

Actually got some lovin' because it was my idea to help the little old lady, and I felt so bad about losing our ring. She thought I was great to be willing to help someone out.

Titanium here. Lost it for 8 months. The boy was playing with it, dropped it and Poof, Vanished. Nowhere to be found. 8 months later the wife pulls a bag out to make bows for daughter #2 and voila. There it was.

One Ring to Piss Me Off. Now that its getting colder, my dainty man fingers are contracting, and now the damn thing is like 3 sizes too big. Now it fits on my pointer finger without trouble.

Has anyone used Overstock for wedding rings? Looks like my same ring in a more reasonable size is like $30, and for that money it can break and snap and bounce all it likes and Ill just get another.

One Ring to Piss Me Off. Now that its getting colder, my dainty man fingers are contracting, and now the damn thing is like 3 sizes too big. Now it fits on my pointer finger without trouble.

Has anyone used Overstock for wedding rings? Looks like my same ring in a more reasonable size is like $30, and for that money it can break and snap and bounce all it likes and Ill just get another.

Oh all the hipsters wear them on their index finger. You're good.

I think its a sign. Hell it may even be a loophole which gets you out of the marriage scott free. Let me check the regs and get back to you.

Bought my Tungsten ring off of Amazon for $29 bucks. The store/vendor is Metal Masters. Check it out.

My tungsten doesn't have a scratch or a crack yet, after a little more than a year. I went with tungsten because I like the weight and it's pretty scratch-proof- and I'm rough on things. As for the emergency need to break the ring, I figure you just put the ring/ finger a vice and smack it with a hammer. Kyle

We went on our honeymoon. The first day we got there, I jumped in the ocean. oops... there goes my ring.

Pick up another one in mexico. Jump in the ocean. Oops... there goes the second one.

I am on my 4th now. Good thing the wife doesn't freak out over that kind of thing.

Back