Anyone try BRY-97 yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pitched yesterday evening at about 6 and am seeing activity about every three seconds. Not having the slow take-off that you guys have described. FWIW I rehydrated according to the package instructions.

Just for the record I did too (rehydrate).

So who has actually drank their brews with BRY-97 yet? I just stumbled on this yeast on Farmhouse Brewing and am a big fan of dry yeasts but lag times, etc, etc aren't what really count... it's the finished BEER!

Tasted my sample of American Amber ale.

Hit 1.013 FG (sample still had some co2 in solution, so it could be lower)

Tasted like a clean ferment, and slightly dry, and with .5lb or so or brown sugar in the recipe, it should be a drier amber ale. Should get kegged within a week or so and put on tap 2 days after that.

At this point early in the tasting/beer process, I can't see why I'd buy this over us05. I'm still reserving final judgment until after this beer is kegged and carbed.

I also rehydrated, I haven't tasted the brew yet, but after 2 weeks it's down to 1.010 from 1.070. I'm going to use this again in a session IPA and pitch it dry to see how it goes.

I've got a pack going in my Pliny the Elder clone. I rehydrated and, contrary to Lallemand's instructions, aerated the wort. I experienced the 48 hour lag as well. I saw slight signs of activity at about 40 hours, but thought I'd help the little guys out a bit more and rehydrated again at that point. At 48 hours I saw vigorous activity. I'm 5 days in since I pitched the yeast and it's still chugging away. I was surprised at how dark the slurry was when I rehydrated it compared to the pack of Nottingham I rehydrated the day prior.

I did the Enkidu Winter Ale from AHS with the BRY-97, double pitched and oxygenated with 20 second burst w/ 2 micron stone and it was krauesening like a madman after 24hrs, good activity before that. Almost had some blow off, not using blow off tube, but had some debris in my air lock. The yeast was rehydrated as well. This was Friday so results won't be in for awhile heh.

The 2 batches I have going are definitely finished, I just don't have anywhere to go with them.
I have 1 keg open and 6 others in rotation. The IIPA is the least full, but at 9% it's a slow go.
As soon as I free up a keg, I'll finish them up.

I'm planning 10g of amber soon. I usually use US-05, but will split into two and try this 'new' yeast. Pics and tasting notes in a few months!

I pitched the BRY-97 dry onto a 3 gal. batch of keeler's CDA @ 1.060 late friday night and saw vigorous activity this morning (Sunday). I'm maintaining temperature of 68-69. The rehydrated batch I pitched onto the APA 11 days ago is still doing its work. Pushed out bubbles till maybe 3 days ago. Looking forward to see how it flocs out once it decides it's finished.

I had started another thread ( "My experience with nottingham bry 97"), but was informed this one was already running. I tried it for the first time last week with Yooper's fat sam. Slow starter, and does not lit anything a hair below 59 ambient temp. It is going strong now, sticky thermometer says temp is at 68 and glad I used a blowoff, because krausen is about two inches into tube.... Wish I had used a transparent fermenter so I could really see it...

Tasted my sample of American Amber ale.

Hit 1.013 FG (sample still had some co2 in solution, so it could be lower)

Tasted like a clean ferment, and slightly dry, and with .5lb or so or brown sugar in the recipe, it should be a drier amber ale. Should get kegged within a week or so and put on tap 2 days after that.

At this point early in the tasting/beer process, I can't see why I'd buy this over us05. I'm still reserving final judgment until after this beer is kegged and carbed.

Finally had a keg kick and a tap opened up, so after the third day or so of force carbing, this beer, although perfectly carbed is still quite green. The grain bill is similiar to NB's American Amber Ale but with 5% brown sugar subbed in for base malt, and hop bursted with Zythos hops - .25oz 40 min, 1 oz 20, 1oz 15min, 1 oz 5 min.

FG read 1.013 but this beer feels waaaayy drier than that, like 1.009 which could have actually closer to actual FG as I'm not sure if residual co2 threw the reading, or maybe the yeast was still active at 2 weeks into primary- although I doubt it.

Either way, this beer, while drinkable and clean, is pretty "..meh..." At this point. It tastes boring and smells boring. There is some slight caramel malt in the nose and almost no hops, same goes for the taste. Truth be told, the Zythos hop blend has been less than stellar anyway thus far, but I expected a bit more to come through given how many I used, and had previously tried them in a Zythos Summer Bitter and although the hop character of the blend was less pungent than I wanted, what character was there came through much better in that beer, even when using an English Ale yeast (wyeast 1469).

I'll go back to us05 for the next beer and see what happens, but at this point, I still can't see any reason to choose this yeast over us05, but would recommend anyone else try it just because. I'll try it again in another proven hoppy ale recipe just in the name of experimentation, but I doubt we need another dry Chico ale yeast. My .02

Edited to add****

- Just pulled 12 oz of this beer and let it warm some, as I'd left it alone for a few days wondering how it was going to change. Well this beer is changing, and clearing, but not in the visual clarity sense, but more in the flavor and aroma. The beer tastes clearer and cleaner with more hop character coming to the forefront than even two days ago. I'm picking up that familiar Chico hop push that's typical of the strain, which previously hadn't shown up using this bry-97. So far, I'm starting to like this beer more and more. We'll see.

Let me reiterate, glad I used a blowoff. Opened my chamber before work and top of ale pale is covered in krausen. It may be a slow starter, but vigorous when going. Ambient temp is about 68. Has anyone really noticed a diminished hop character yet? If so, is this still evident with dry-hopping? Thanks.

Pitched this dry on a low gravity IPA, started fermenting in a few hours, when I rehydrated and pitched it, it took nearly 48 hours to get going. Looking forward to testing the red ale from about 3 weeks ago, currently in bottles so in a few weeks I'll have a first taste sample.

I used it on my house porter and its drier and knocked the hop character down quite a bit compared to usual. Gravities were the same, so I'll attribute it to the yeast. I also made an India Brown Ale that was 65 ibu per beersmith and its completely mute. I like the temp ranges, but us-05 is a better choice for me.

BAJones said:
Pitched this dry on a low gravity IPA, started fermenting in a few hours, when I rehydrated and pitched it, it took nearly 48 hours to get going. Looking forward to testing the red ale from about 3 weeks ago, currently in bottles so in a few weeks I'll have a first taste sample.

I am curious of the results too on an ipa. If it "eats" hop flavor as I hear, I'd like to drop some hops in to compensate, but don't want to waste time or money on dry hopping if it still eats after initial fermentation.

I like the temp ranges, but us-05 is a better choice for me.

On Northern Brewer's site, they state "In our experience, this strain stays clean at relatively high temperatures (up to 78F)." Can anyone confirm if this yeast can cleanly handle higher temps?

Ambient in my apartment is 73 this time of year, and I'd rather not go through the hassle of a swamp cooler if thats the case.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...st/danstar-american-west-coast-ale-yeast.html

I did a fairly big IPA this weekend (~1.080) split into 2 5 gallon fermenters aerated by several minutes of vigorous shaking. I don't usually rehydrate, but did this time because of the high gravity. One fermenter had S-04 and the other the BRY-97. These were both rehydrated in the same amount of water (about 5 ounces of water at 85 or so with a little nutrient and burton salt) I noticed the BRY-97 looked considerably darker than the S-04 upon rehydration.

6 hours later and at 68 degrees, the S-04 had a nice krausen started and was bubbling well. Nothing from BRY-97. 12 hours later, bigger krausen on S-04 and still no visible activity on BRY-97 other than a little pressure in airlock. No sign of a krausen on top of the beer.

Here's where I panicked a little bit. Given the gravity and temp of the wort, I was expecting more activity, so I sprinkled a pack of US-05 into the batch containing BRY-97. A few hours later visible krausen now forming.

I guess I should have checked here first, but in my experience I ALWAYS see the beginnings of a krausen within 12 hours (I ferment in 6 gallon better bottles) Maybe I shouldn't have panicked.

But is slow start, then vigorous and complete fermentation relative to other strains the verdict on this one?

Mayday99 said:
I did a fairly big IPA this weekend (~1.080) split into 2 5 gallon fermenters aerated by several minutes of vigorous shaking. I don't usually rehydrate, but did this time because of the high gravity.

But is slow start, then vigorous and complete fermentation relative to other strains the verdict on this one?

Yes. As stated before. I was at lower temps, but slow to no start, then needed a blow off tube after 5 days....

And hope the yeast doesn't eat all your holly goodness!!

Yes. As stated before. I was at lower temps, but slow to no start, then needed a blow off tube after 5 days....

And hope the yeast doesn't eat all your holly goodness!!

I like the high attenuation and clear beer it is supposed to leave, but the slow start (5 days?!) makes me nervous. I like the yeast to start fast to minimize infection risk. One of the wyeast trappist yeasts (3787) is similar, but I think it is about 36 hours, slow at first, and then wham-o.

I will say that I'm also bothered by the slow start.
Someone stated that they pitched dry and had a quick start. This is confusing to me.
How can you pitch +/- 50% less yeast and have a quicker start?
I will say that there was a noticeable difference in the color of the BRY97 compared to the safale 05
?
Bull

bullinachinashop said:
I will say that I'm also bothered by the slow start.
Someone stated that they pitched dry and had a quick start. This is confusing to me.
I also pitched dry, and albeit at lower temp, had a very, very slow start. So I have a tough time believing that ( not calling anyone a liar, mind you) unless they pitched at 85* !! I will use this, if what I read is correct, in the summer when temps are higher if that whole "clean at 78*" thing is true. That would be a godsend in the summer.

I am concerned that I tasted my hydro sample and there is no hop character in my amber... Might dry hop with centennial to compensate....

I pitched at about 75 (without rehydrating) and cooled the wort down to 68 from there (took about 3 hours). I had activity within 24 hrs. I've only seen activity in 6-8 hours if I repitch from another batch.

Given the past numerous quality control issues with Nottingham, I am wondering if there is an issue with this yeast. Danstar's site characterized BRY-97 as "quick start" if held above 17C (63F).

There are reports here of mid-high 60s and no activity for days when rehydrated.

The oddly dark color on rehydration was troubling too, although maybe this is just a difference between danstar and fermentis.

All I know is the rehydrated S-04 looked like what you'd expect, light beige, while the BRY-97 was very grayish.

Well, I went ahead and tossed some more centennial into my amber to counter the hop-muting effects, I hope. Gonna leave it in for about 4 days before I got to bottle. Hope it turned out well. Don't think I am gonna wash this cake...

I didn't notice at the time, but yes, this yeast was darker than I am used to...

I pitched some Notty into a Blonde around the time I pitched this BRY-97 into my DIPA. The BRY-97 was significantly darker than the Nottingham. I assume if compared, most strains will be slightly different in color, and I imagine if you mutate a strain over continued usage it may change in color from the initial pitch... Where's the biologists to chime in???

I've used this yeast 3 times now. First was a West Coast Style Red hopped to the bejesus with Nelson Sauvin. The yeast took about 48 hrs to get rocking at 65F. Worked fairly quickly but it didn't floc any better than US-05, beer is ok at this point, no yeast flavor and fairly dry. Beer #2 was a Pumpkin Ale. Repitched a 16oz slurry from the previous beer. Blew off on day 3-4 then was done and dropped bright in a matter of days. Gravity sampled at 10 days revealed a bright beer with a neutral yeast flavor and good overall, again fermented at 65F. The last one was a big American Stout 1.075. Repitched, pretty much the same behavior as the previous pitch, started fast and ended fast with blow off, beer is 4 weeks old and tastes awesome.

Definately better performing and floc characteristics after the intial pitch. For my money I'll stick to repitching US-05 or other liquid strains. The BRY-97 is good though, just not much different than other yeasts I use and love.

Pitched it, rehydrated, into a 60 degree, 1.050 APA wort on Saturday and let it rise to 68, where I've held it. Krausen began to form after 26 hours. Since then it's been a blizzard in the carboy with an incredibly turbulent active fermentation.

I used it on a rye ipa fermented at 74. I know a little war and it was pretty fruity and it would not floc out even with a 3 cold crash. It did however take it from 1.060 to 1.012 in only 4 days. Im going to experiment with it a little more at a lower temp and maybe use some gelatin to help it clear a bit.

khugs21 said:
I used it on a rye ipa fermented at 74. I know a little war and it was pretty fruity and it would not floc out even with a 3 cold crash. It did however take it from 1.060 to 1.012 in only 4 days. Im going to experiment with it a little more at a lower temp and maybe use some gelatin to help it clear a bit.

I wouldn't go any lower than 64 on it. I tried lower temps, and it completely stalled out, but I was hovering about 60. I have an amber that is bottle conditioned. Sample tasted sweet and strange, hoping it scene out in the next 2 weeks of carbing. I didn't bother keeping the cake. Might use it in the summer at higher temps, but for approximately the same money, I'd rather go safale 05, it has always treated me well! But its your beer, have fun and good luck!

I finally transferred the 2 batches yesterday morning.
Both the US-05 and the BRY-97 finished @ 1.010.
The Bry-97 was clearer. It also had a smell like Rye toast and oddly, Pineapple.
I only got a yeasty smell from the 05
Both are kegged and I'll check them in about a week for taste.
Bull

The 2 batches I have going are definitely finished, I just don't have anywhere to go with them.
I have 1 keg open and 6 others in rotation. The IIPA is the least full, but at 9% it's a slow go.
As soon as I free up a keg, I'll finish them up.

I finally transferred the 2 batches yesterday morning.
Both the US-05 and the BRY-97 finished @ 1.010.
The Bry-97 was clearer. It also had a smell like Rye toast and oddly, Pineapple.
I only got a yeasty smell from the 05
Both are kegged and I'll check them in about a week for taste.
Bull

Eager to hear about it. I get a yeasty smell from S05 too, it takes a long time to clear. I don't mind the smell but I wished it floc'd better. All things equal if Bry-97 clears better it might be worth using if you can handle the slow start.

Glad to see this and that I'm not the only one who had slow starts. The first time I tried it I rehydrated per Danstar's instructions and pitched into 60F wort, I held the temp between 62F and 63F and ended up repitching s-05 after 84 hours.

Second try I pitched dry and gave it 48 hours at 64F with no visible signs before raising the temp to 68 for 12 hours, finally got some krausen forming and lowered the temp back to 64. 2.5 or 3 weeks and I'll see how I like the resulting beer.

Drinking a galaxy hopped APA fermented with this strain @68. Cleared out very nicely, definitely an American-style ale yeast. I get a little more mineral/fruity flavor profile than US-05 but it works well with this style. They're definitely different and considering I'm one of the few people who has had no stalling problems with this one I'd blame it on the fact that it's a new product and Danstar is still working out the production kinks. My advice is to keep it in the high 60s, and there won't be any trouble. It's a different yeast from US-05, so don't expect it to act the same.

I used this strain on an India Black Ale I made (Brewer's Best kit), and the results are delicious. It's actually my favorite beer I've made so far; I don't know how much that has to do with the Bry-97, but the results were damn good. Definitely doing this recipe again in the future.

Cheers

Drinking: Nefarious Blonde, Pumpkin Spice Porter, India Black Ale

Back