wyeast issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grey487

Reaction score
Hello, I made a mistake last night brewing a belgian Dubbel. I realized once I got my wort boiling that I had forgot to take my wyeast 1762 out of the fridge. I ran it under 85 degree water for 20-30 seconds to try to warm it up. After sitting for a few minutes it felt cooler than the water temp (so I know it didn't get heated over 85 degrees. I let it sit for 3 hrs then pitched it into the wort that had went into the primary for 2 hrs before. When pitched the packet had barely swelled. Will this yeast take off?
Another possible issue and just a general question is: I have had the pack for a while. Its manufacture date was april 13 (appx 4 months ago.) Is this too old to use?

your alright it will be fine. it just may take a little longer

It's fine to smack the pack right before pitching, or not to smack it at all, but the mistake was not making a starter with that smack pack. It'll take off, but you undoubtedly under pitched and may have issues related to that.

Typically it's a good idea to make a starter with liquid yeasts, not just pulling it out of the fridge. It may certainly take some time for it to get going. I wouldn't be surprised to not see much action going on for at least 72 hours. If nothing is happening much after that, may need to repitch.

If the pouch started to swell, then there's live & active yeast. Maybe not much, but enough to multiply and then ferment the beer. You'll just have some extra yeast growth related flavors, which I hope are to your taste.

According to Wyeast you can pitch them unswollen. They still contain active yeast. The bubble you pop releases a yeast nutrient that gives them something to feed on hence the co2 that swell the pack. Like others have said a starter is reccomened to reduce lag time. Will it work? yes. Will it be optimable? No probably not. But it will still make good beer with proper fermentation temp control. Cheers SW

Back