Quinoa Malting Failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dktoller

Reaction score
Just threw out five pounds of smelly Quinoa. Arghh!

I had run a small malting experiment a while back and was confident I could scale up a bit and then start brewing.

Unfortunately after about four or five days the grain developed a funky (rancid? fermenting?) smell. I'd say less than 5% of it actually sprouted.

Anybody want to speculate what might have gone wrong? I was keeping it in a 5 gallon stock pot inside of a paint strainer bag. I gave it an initial 2-3 hour soak and then rinsed it thoroughly every eight hours. It just never took off. Has anyone done this much grain all at once?

I am beginning to suspect the grain wasn't viable for malting. It was Roland brand and we got 10 pounds off of Amazon for a decent price. So I may give this another chance (with a smaller batch next time). I suppose I could also just roast it, but I doubt the flavor would be nearly as good.

I'm thinking that it may not be a viable grain. If you can, can you contact the seller and ask if it is possible to sprout the grain? Or when you did a small malting experiment, did you use the same batch of grain to test if it was viable?

I've only malted something once (teff), but I'm not sure if you can do it in a "bag" like you did. I'm guessing the funky odor was mold/mildew/yeast of somekind. I remember when I did it (a few years ago so don't take anything I say as expert advice by any means) it was on cookie sheets so there was just a thin layer of grain and damp towels on top to keep it moist. I'm not sure if the grain will germinate if it's densly packed.

Used a different batch of grain from the first successful experiment. Just bought it, but it might have been 'old', or in some other way not viable.

I wonder whether putting in a bag and/or having it densely packed (several inches deep) would perhaps prevent sprouting. That said, there should have been areas around the edges or on top which should have sprouted. I didn't see hardly any that sprouted.

quinoa gets as funny smell malting it. its more pronounced in larger quantities. i would also highly recommend that you sprout it under warm water. place grain in bucket. fill bucket with warm water to fully cover grain. strain and replace water 2x a day and let it go for a week at the most. i use a sheet like a hammock to air dry in the back yard. then reinforced pillowcase tied shut and tossed in the dryer to knock the sprouts off the grains. and i roast in the oven on brownie sheets.

Back