Raspberries - fresh, frozen, puree?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmac00

Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been asked/answered before, but I searched and couldn't find a good answer.

I'm brewed a raspberry wheat last weekend. I essentially brewed a German Wheat ale, let it primary, and am now ready to add the raspberry into a secondary. What should I use for the raspberries however? And how much? I suspect that fresh raspberries could get costly, but I am brewing this beer to give as a wedding favor, so quality is my main factor.

The OG for this beer was around 1.040 if that helps. The grain bill was 9lbs. Thanks!

Sorry if this question has been asked/answered before, but I searched and couldn't find a good answer.

I'm brewed a raspberry wheat last weekend. I essentially brewed a German Wheat ale, let it primary, and am now ready to add the raspberry into a secondary. What should I use for the raspberries however? And how much? I suspect that fresh raspberries could get costly, but I am brewing this beer to give as a wedding favor, so quality is my main factor.

The OG for this beer was around 1.040 if that helps. The grain bill was 9lbs. Thanks!

I always go with 1lb for every 1gallon of wort...as for the raspberries, if I dont pick them then I prefer going to a big box retailer and buying them frozen (because of the regulations they have on packaging fruit), I let them thaw before I puree them (so that the yeast dont have to work so hard).
But that's me...in the end it's beer, so it can't be too bad!

Frozen is good to use. A pound per gallon is good, you could go more, but I guess it depends how much flavor you want. But don't add too much

I always go with 1lb for every 1gallon of wort...as for the raspberries, if I dont pick them then I prefer going to a big box retailer and buying them frozen (because of the regulations they have on packaging fruit), I let them thaw before I puree them (so that the yeast dont have to work so hard).
But that's me...in the end it's beer, so it can't be too bad!

I second that! But i dont puree them, just me...

I use 1 lb of frozen raspberries per gallon of beer and soak them in a bag for 30 minutes prior to adding to secondary with a little bit of vodka to kill any unwanted bugs.

Also, when I added the raspberries to secondary, they lost most of their color and turned white pretty quickly. Just a heads up; it looks pretty nasty/scary/infection-like at first. Don't panic when you have a bunch of white stuff floating in your beer.

Back