Looking for a PID control that has RS232/422/485 communication

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawai

Reaction score
THOUGHT? a laptop/desktop pc with brew recipe that "times" and dumps sequential temperatures to a controller, beeping alerting you to add "hops" or other ingredients. Simple Visual basic program I can do in a day. I really don't need all the solenoid valves, pumps, exchangers.. just a simple job that keeps me from getting confused. (Yes I get confused at times) You can do yours how you wish.

This is/would be a handy mod for the occasional brewer, or the full blown three pot addict with networking touch screen.

This one has optional? modbus, I know very little about that term or protocol thou. It appears to be a serial current Loop type arrangement.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E5AZ-Q3T-OMRON-Temperature-Controller-110-240v-ORIGINAL-/251067839028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a74cf3234

FOR the Brewing, simpler control panel, more options? I have been looking at different temperature controllers. Used to be (1990s) Honeywell made controllers (UDC3000) comes to mind that had a optional 422 serial port on the back. I could download temperatures from the same computer I wrote software for that mixed dyes.

Do you have any knowledge/experience to contribute? Any PID models that include the software, protocol package for communication to a pc? Advantages would be to have the pc remote and a cable to the cook pot.. No more expensive parts to buy to have a good optioned out cook pot. I have some Serial port subroutines in Visual basic 6 I can share. MScomm.. (Mostly a Dead language now)

I just downloaded the first of the solo manual.. looks good so far. I bet all the "cheaper" pids have a processor in them, just no way of talking.

I mean my led television I bought, nothing in there but a cpu and a lot of traces. It has to "boot up".

Perused a Android app builder put out by google.. turned over to MIT, available free to anyone with a google ID.. Well.. I love my google Nexus 7, am using the android BeerR program on it at times thou I am not that familiar with it yet. I have a RS232/wireless interface on my Megasquirt EFI I am sticking together for my old truck..Shadowdash it uses the same google tablet as a heads up display/monitor. That wireless adapter could convert a cheap controller.

I bought the ebay version with the 600 page manual. THE app writer is "free".. but you must print the manual out. This is in "my rusty C+" (or python) programming language.

Problem, perhaps the Android app builder will do communication, perhaps not. It says it can bluetooth also.. so..
Advantage, I could tote the tablet with me, view the surveillance cameras here, watch the kettle cook my beer, monitor it, and go on multi-tasking.

Edit, this android app builder is a icon based software, kinda set up like Visual basic, you pull the icon-devices and located them onto the screen where you want them, label the buttons, then write the logic to use them. I am about a hour into it and do not see any difficulties so far. (so far said the blind man)

Back