Cooling the wort problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2xbrewing

Reaction score
Hey fellas I made my first batch of a Guinness clone dry irish stout. I did it as all grain and everything went well except for my inexperience. On brewing day it was 10 degrees outside so I decided to sterilize the lid and try to let nature cool the wort of this 5 Gallon batch. Three to four hours later and a lot of stirring with a sanitized spoon the wort still didn't cool, so I then I used a wort chiller and got it down to temperature. I'm now putting it into a secondary fermenter after 2 weeks of primary.

My question is with the extra wort chilling time and the extra stirring am I going to have taste problems because of extra aeration?
I think I was very sterile the whole time but should I be expecting any bacteria issues? Thanks Tom

You should be fine, don't worry. I'm sure it will be the best homebrew you've ever had - no kidding! With that batch there's really no hurry to cool it quick besides contamination and you think you were good with that. Aeration at that point is a needed thing and the jury is still out on hotside aeration :D

stpug said:
You should be fine, don't worry. I'm sure it will be the best homebrew you've ever had - no kidding! With that batch there's really no hurry to cool it quick besides contamination and you think you were good with that. Aeration at that point is a needed thing and the jury is still out on hotside aeration :D

Thanks a lot that's exactly what I needed to know.

Back