Rice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsfan76

Reaction score
I am about 5 batches deep into this hobby and have started experimenting with small batches. I was looking in my cupboards and realize I have an immense amount of rice and wondered about incorporating that in a beer. I know it's taboo in some circles and just wanted to know if I should just forget it or is there a way to use it in a brew that works and how? Any and all advice is welcome.

You can use it, but it has to be mashed. It will boost the gravity w/o adding flavor or color. Not much different than just adding sugar really, except for being a little less fermentable depending on mash temp. Also, you do have to cook it in order to get the starches to become available. Kind of a pain for what it gives you. If you really needed rice for a recipe then the flaked or instant would work better since the starches are pre-gelatinized.

You can grind the rice down to grits consistency (you can use a coffee grinder), then cook them as the normal eating method, and then add to the mash. Flavor and color can be added depending on the variety. American specimens are fairly neutral. Basmati and Jasmine will add flavor and aroma. Chinese black can add a lavender color.

Source: Radical Brewing

What I have on hand is just plain white rice. I might venture in out and purchase other types of rice if its worth it but I was trying to see about using what I have on hand. Interesting points though and I appreciate it. Any other thoughts?

I wouldn't use any more than 15% of your total grain bill weight on rice for your first time. Try 5-10%.

Back