First batch leaking barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpien222

Reaction score
Right I have put my first batch of beer in a barrel and I seem to be getting a leak from just behind the tap I removed the seal just before putting the beer in and priming it and lubricated it with Vaseline.

I had a pint yesterday and it was slightly carbonated I have just come back off holiday an just before I went I laid the barrel down so the tap was face up I am wondering if while I was away the pressure built and released the gas through the tap that's why it's only slightly carbonated after having some yesterday I did add more sugar to try and gas it up more and the tap is now starting to leak a little again I assume this is due to the pressure building again.

Can anybody suggest where I have done anything wrong or what I can do to correct it ? This is what it's looking like.

image-3343481273.jpg

image-128562823.jpg

Did you say you left a seal out?

Are you prepared to take it apart if need be? Could try just tightening the spigot from the outside.

I took the deal out and lubricated it before barreling I have been told I should have lubricated the thread on the screw in tap so I have taken it back out and done this it seems to have done the trick for now I will see how it goes when the pressure rebuilds back up.

You cetainly don't want to lubricate it with petroleum products. Petroleum will dissolve rubber. You should be usuing a special food grade lubricant, often silicone based. You should not even have to lube it to get it to seal. I'm sure it would have sealed fine dry.

JRems said:
You cetainly don't want to lubricate it with petroleum products. Petroleum will dissolve rubber. You should be usuing a special food grade lubricant, often silicone based. You should not even have to lube it to get it to seal. I'm sure it would have sealed fine dry.

Ok I wont use it again I was told by multiple people on here vaseline was fine to use my LHBS told me the same.

dbrewski said:
What kind of barrel are you using? Are you certain it can remain air tight at 10-12 psi?

It's a youngs you brew pressure barrel and I am assuming that it should

image-4035866154.jpg

That's it there and since i put the Vaseline on it seems to be fine.

Back