Recommend me a brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRock

Reaction score
Looking to do my second batch today and I need some input. I want to do an Amber Ale to compliment the IPA I have conditioning now. Something with medium body and a good caramel flavor to balance the hops I'd still like to taste. A nice easy drinking beer for a party basically.

I'm thinking an OG around 1.05 with an IBU of 40 and an ABV of say 5%+. I'll probably also add a specialty grain, maybe a crystal 60 or something for a higher SRM of say 20.

For yeast I have good access to any of the WYeast strains and was thinking of either 1332 Northwest Ale or 1450 Denny's favorite 50.

For hops I was thinking maybe a Cascade or Centennial. Something with a good flavor during bittering and another for aroma at the end of the boil. Not sure though. My last batch used Warrior and Citra so this one should be different.

Anyway, ideas, recipes and ingredients are what I'm looking for. I've seen some great all-grain recipes but I'm just not there yet so I need a good extract recipe. I can do full wort boils and a specialty grain would be nice. Think amber or house/farm ale that's a crowd pleaser for the non-hopheads but something that's still got enough kick you'd want to drink it yourself.

Still looking for more ideas and recipe's for a nice Extract Amber Ale to brew later today. I'm thinking maybe using two types of crystal malt, say a 40 and an 80 for depth? Seems like that plus a finishing hop like a Willamette might product something with a nice caramel flavor that has a nice aroma at the end with a bit of bite from some Centennial hops for bittering?

The Fixed Gear Red Ale from NB is pretty good as well. I think my GF ended up drinking more of it than I did, keeps asking when I'm going to make it again.

Both sound great! I can't find any recipe's for them though. Just the kits.

I guess I'll just head over to my local brew supply store and see what they've got.

If you click on additional information the ingredients and instructions are there in pdf format.

Steeping
.5lb victory malt
.5lb briess caramel 60

Malt extract
1lb pilsen dme
6lb Munich Lme

Hops
1oz German perle
1oz hersbrucker

Thanks Wilsojo's! I completely missed the link under additional info. Too late for today, but I bet it won't be many more weeks before I toss another batch into the fermenter.

I ended up with a bit different amber than I planned today, but it went well anyway. My local brew shop was out of a bunch of stuff so I had to piece a recipe together based on one they had in the shop and a couple I brought in.

Here is what I brewed today:

Extract:
6.6lbs CBW Light Pilsen LME
1lb DME
8oz brown sugar (boiled in last 10 minutes)

Specialty grains: (Steeped at 155 for 35min in 2qt +2qt @160 to sparge)
16oz Crystal Malt 80
1.5oz Chocolate Malt 500

Hops: (Roughly 45 IBU)
.8oz Simcoe Hops (boiled 60)
.6oz Simcoe (15 minutes)
.6oz Simcoe (Flame Out)

1tsp Irish Moss (15 minutes)

1332 Northwest Ale Yeast

Today's brew went really well. Probably better than the last. We got the specialty grains steeping and I brought 5.5 gallons to a boil. I added the specialty grains water plus a sparge for about 6.5 gallons in my 7.5gallon kettle. Last brew I did 5 gallons and added 1 gallon for 6 but ended up having to add a full gallon at the end to make up for lost water. Today with an ice bath and the wort chiller we got the entire kettle down to 70 degrees in about 12 minutes.

My OG measured 1.0558 with a target OG of 1.056. I pitched the yeast and it's now bubbling away in the basement at 66*.

Back