Advice On A New AG/BIAB Setup Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namyarb3

Reaction score
Current setup:
5g SS pot
Cooking on electric stove
Chilling wort in a water bath in my sink, takes about 30-40min to get to pithing temp.
Extract brewer, partial boil, 5g batches.

I'm looking to upgrade my setup to something I will be content with for a while. I tried a propane turkey fryer...once. Hated it. ****ty aluminum pot, and it wasn't good enough for me.
I want to have the ability to do AG/BIAB batches with a full 5g boil.
I want to brew outside with a propane burner.
I need to chill the wort quickly, without a pump.
I will shop around for the best prices, but here is the basic runthrough.

Here's what I'm looking at:
IC Chiller I want to go stainless. The lesser efficiency won't bother me much, since my ground water is super cold here in WA state. I feel SS will be cleaner and it looks nice:) Have thrown around the idea of a plate chiller, gravity fed. May be overkill for 5g batches, and more difficult to clean.
Brewpot This pot seems to have all I need. And all SS. This one is a 16g, but they also produce a 10g. Would a 10g be big enough for BIAB for high OG beers? 1.070+? More grain=more room/water, right?
Burner Blichman. 'Nuff said.

So. What do the more experienced think of this set-up? I would love to hear some feedback. Good choices? Bad? Experience with any/all of the products? Other recomendations? Am I an idiot? IDK. I am still pretty new to this, but I can't get enough. Pure obsession at this point.

If you managed to read this whole post, I thank you. Sorry for the novel:cross:

Last edited by a moderator:
To confuse you even more...how about an electric kettle so you could brew indoors when it's raining out. All good choices above IMO. Somehow you need to be certain that the kettle and chiller are a match...that the temp. probe or other issues do not interfere w/ using the chiller, or that the chiller is not too tall for a small batch in a large pot.

Cool. I know that I will neew to get accurate measurements of the chiller/pot before I purchase them. The thermometer will probably be removed when I cook, since it may tear up the bag in a BIAB situation. I plan to get a floating or other option (digital point and read kind??) for temp monitoring.

Electric kettle...hmm. Keyword to search for? Or a good place to start researching?
^^NM. We have an electric brewing section!!

this is the by BIAB rig I built this summer for my father in laws 60th birthday. the upper arm comes of that nest inside for storage. I am very happy with the burner I got from Agrisupply.com 50 dollars shipped. just under 200 dollars for the entire stand with burner and valves/hoses.

ForumRunner_20120908_092316.jpg

ForumRunner_20120908_093859.jpg

And I would look at the bayou classic pot with the steamer basket

Does the basket sit on the bottom of the pot? That's why I was looking at the one with the false bottom. It also has a bazooka tube and SS spigot. Both of which I want for my rig.
I may be able to build my own burner framework with some help from friends. May save a little cash. I wonder how much SS piping is, by the foot...

I believe the hot does sit on the bottom I think a lot of people place stainless steel bolts on the bottom as standoff to fit the pickup tube under the basket. the frame was super easy to put together I have progress photos if you want them

You can put stainless bolts and nuts through the bottom holes of the basket to raise it off the bottom of the pot, works perfect.

And then just drill the hole for the spigot/bazooka tube thing? Probably a better deal to do that, as opposed to buying what I linked and then buying a basket too.
Who here owns a bayou classic pot? Is it a decnt way to go? Prices seem really low for any kind of quality SS pot with the accesories that it comes with.
And the chiller...Anyone have thoughts on that?

I really like the Bayou Classic SQ14 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) for $50 you can't beat it. I personally can't see spending $150 on a burner.

As for kettle that seems really expensive. You could buy a larger Al kettle or stainless kettle, drill a coupler holes and insert your weldless valve/thermo for MUCH cheaper than $300. Or you could go Spike Brewing and get welded fittings ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to do a Google search on 62qt Bayou Classic with steamer basket and hunt down the best price for it. The kettle is designed so that the basket is elevated a reasonable distance from the bottom. This will help you in placing the temp probe and heating element. The homedepot.com has it but Im sure that you can get it for less money elsewhere (Amazon?).

Take a look at this thread to get some ideas:
Single vessel BIAB electric build

I hope this helps you in planning.

P-J

@Bezel. Thanks, but I am sticking to SS.
@Spike. Price + shipping to 99205 for the 15g with (1) welded fitting with a SS ball valve?
PM if you prefer.

For sure stainless... I thought it was, I have seen the bayou 64q with basket for 144 or so on amazon

...Now I have spent all day researching eBIAB rigs. My wife is gonna kill me...
Serously. I am more confused as I'm writing this reply than I was when I wrote the OP.
Thanks for all of the input, guys!!

I have the B/C 44 qt w/ the steamer insert. I have only used the steamer insert for steaming seafood. I see no worthwhile advantage to using the steamer basket for BIAB. A voile bag is plenty strong to merely cinch the top and lift or hoist out of the pot...I know people use them and like using them...but what's the advantage?? less is more sometimes IMHO.

My thought, wilserbrewer, was that I could smoosh the bag of grains to get more sugary goodness out. I would use a bag as well, if that wasn't clear. If I got the bayou that I linked in the OP, would the thermometer stem be an issue with just a bag? One of yours, of course ;)
How big of a pot would I need to do 13# to 15# worth of grain for a tough 5g batch? Are your bags big enough for that workload?

Well. first off I am lazy, and feel that all this squeezing and sqooshing the grain bag for a half pint of wort is rather silly...sorry JMO. I simply hang the bag from a hook in the cieling and let it drain. I have never used a built in thermometer, but I have read that it does not really present problems if a little bit of care is used while removing the bag...granted one does not snag the thermo and just keep pulling. Just push the bag away from the thermo prior to removal. I'm a fan of simple hand held thermos, once you hit mash temp, leave it alone IMHO. It is also nice to check the mash in several spots...a mounted thermo doesn't do this.

How big a pot...well a 10 gal will mash 15 lbs at 2.2 qts resulting in a mash volume of 9.45 gal. So that is 33 qts total water or 8.25 gal....if the grain absorbs 1.25 gal, boiloff is 1 gallon and trub loss is a half gallon, your left with 5.5 gallons. So w/ a ten gallon kettle mashing full volume you are maxed out at approx. 15 lb grain bills...but w/ a dunk sparge, you could go more??? So ten gal is a good size IMO considering you could occasionally dunk sparge on silly big huge beers.

ref: can I mash it...below
http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Back