Iodophor Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1978

Reaction score
My math skills are terrible, and I was wondering if anybody knew the correct amount of Iodophor to add to a 24oz spray bottle??

1oz / 640 *24
Or make a one gallon batch with .2oz and put 24oz in your trigger.

My bottle of idophor has the dilution marked on the side, 1 teaspoon per 1 1/2 gallon of water. According to the internet (!) 1 gallon = 124 ounces so . . . 1 1/2 gallons = 186 ounces . . . 1 teaspoon/186 ounces = x teaspoon/24 ounces . . . 0.0054 = x/24 . . . x = 0.13 teaspoons

So, 0.13 teaspoon of idophor for 24 ounces of water - good luck in measuring that! I think it translates to "a very tiny amount".

Also, I've never heard of folks using idophor in a spray bottle before - many use star san in a bottle, I think it may have something to do with how long idophor remains effective after its diluted? I'm not sure . . .

Also, I've never heard of folks using idophor in a spray bottle before - many use star san in a bottle, I think it may have something to do with how long idophor remains effective after its diluted? I'm not sure . . .
I think it stays effective for 24 hours.

My bottle of idophor has the dilution marked on the side, 1 teaspoon per 1 1/2 gallon of water. According to the internet (!) 1 gallon = 124 ounces so . . . 1 1/2 gallons = 186 ounces . . . 1 teaspoon/186 ounces = x teaspoon/24 ounces . . . 0.0054 = x/24 . . . x = 0.13 teaspoons

So, 0.13 teaspoon of idophor for 24 ounces of water - good luck in measuring that! I think it translates to "a very tiny amount".

124 ounces? According to who?
1 US gallon = 128 oz.
1 Imperial gallon = 153.7 oz.

0.13 tsp is basically 1/8 tsp. It's not that small.

Back