Kegging small batches (3.5 gallons in Corny Kegs)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesanch

Reaction score
I just brewed my first all grain batch, but due to the constraints on the size of my kettle (only 5 gallon), I can only make 3.5 gallon batches with the help of FermCapS. I also just put in my order from kegconnection.com for 2 corny kegs and lines.

So being a kegging newb, what issues should I be concerned about kegging small batches?

I'm thinking to purge all the air out of the keg prior to racking. That way no air should be in there at all. And/or purging after racking. Any advice is appreciated.

I don't see any problems with kegging smaller batches. After the beer is in the keg, fill with CO2, purge the air by opening the release valve for a few seconds, and then turn on the CO2 again.

How bout if I don't plan on force carbing the beer and use priming sugar? (This is just a what if in case I ever want to go that route)

I'm sure there's a formula somewhere that takes more head space into account, but I have no idea where it is.

Latest posts

Back