Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just cracked open first bottle to top off a batch of apple wine (Jack's recipe). Luckily was a bit left in bottle. Only bottled this a couple weeks ago, and already has a good apple taste going. Too be fair though, think I started this batch in march or so. So went longer in carboy than normal.

If I only have one packet of Montrachet yeast and rehydrate it, can I use that for a 5 gallon batch and a 3 gallon batch? Is there enough yeasties to do their job?

If I only have one packet of Montrachet yeast and rehydrate it, can I use that for a 5 gallon batch and a 3 gallon batch? Is there enough yeasties to do their job?

It'll probably start a bit slow, but it would likely work anyway.

Option 2 would be to dump it into the 3 gallon batch, and then when that is really active, mix that with about half of what would be your five gallon batch, pull off a (now diluted) three gallons, and dump in the other half of your five. Basically, you'd be making a starter.

I used one packet on montrachet in my 5gallon batch... i just pitched it into the juice/sugar mix dry... started at 1.082 and it had finished at .996 when i checked it 12 days later..

I used one packet on montrachet in my 5gallon batch... i just pitched it into the juice/sugar mix dry... started at 1.082 and it had finished at .996 when i checked it 12 days later..

that seems fast, hoping my montrachet comes in friday

Would it matter if I used Montrachet champaign yeast (yellow packet) instead of the red wine yeast? Not a big deal to get the other, I just have 10 pks of the champaign I need to use for something.

I have the sugar and yeast to start another batch. What can I say, this stuff is growing on me :) anyway, I would really like to use some pear juice, but don't think I've ever seen it in large quantities. Anyone know where one could find pear juice ?

I couldn't wait any longer, so last night I took a hydro reading and a sample.

It appeared that fermentation was complete, as bubbles were/are few and far between. According to my hydro with temp conversion, I'm at .999 from an OG of 1.065.

Taste-wise, it's obviously very young, but seeing through the noteable harshness, this stuff is friggin' fantastic! The dryness is astounding, and I definitely do notice the apple notes. Not even a flavor, but more of an essence. I'm hoping the apple flavor comes forward more with age.

I'm going to take 2 more readings over today and tomorrow, and then on to bottle!

One other thing, the AW left a tingling sensation on my tongue from the first time I tasted it. Not like an aftertaste, but almost a very low amount of carbonation. It quickly disappeared, but still left me scratching my head. Was it the live yeasties?:drunk:

Time to make some more today. I'm going to try ale yeast, and I'm going to add a bit of acid blend (1/2 tsp per gallon or so) this time around since I like the brightness in a light wine. Will see how it turns out compared to the gold standard.

One other thing, the AW left a tingling sensation on my tongue from the first time I tasted it. Not like an aftertaste, but almost a very low amount of carbonation. It quickly disappeared, but still left me scratching my head. Was it the live yeasties?:drunk:

Unless you degas it, there will be a little dissolved CO2 just from fermentation. I think it's nice, like a lightly sparkling white wine.

Well, we had some friends over last night and things got a bit crazy. I awoke this morning to find my bucket of apfelwein (which had been fementing for a week and a half), in my kitchen on the ground and about half of the wein is missing...

I guess I'll put it back in the garage and act like this didn't happen

I wanted to try about 2 gallons of pear juice with my next batch but all I could find was ~20 oz jars for $9 each.. nah. Then I thought about adding some pomegranete, or cranberry, blueberry, something, but everything had added folic acid, citric acid, or potassium benzoate, and other preservatives. Not sure if any of the above are ok or not, so I just went all apple again. We can always add other juices to the glass.

I wanted to try about 2 gallons of pear juice with my next batch but all I could find was ~20 oz jars for $9 each.. nah. Then I thought about adding some pomegranete, or cranberry, blueberry, something, but everything had added folic acid, citric acid, or potassium benzoate, and other preservatives. Not sure if any of the above are ok or not, so I just went all apple again. We can always add other juices to the glass.

Folic and citric acids are fine, potassium benzoate is not. Acsorbic acid (vitamin C) is also okay, if you see it.

@masonjax, try an Hispanic/Latino grocery store. The ones here carry all kinds of fruit juices & nectars in larger sizes and better prices than you can get at the regular supermarket.

okay everyone
i'm looking for help, about to make first Apfelwein batch but my question is since i have no corn sugar which brown sugar should i use?

okay everyone
i'm looking for help, about to make first Apfelwein batch but my question is since i have no corn sugar which brown sugar should i use?

Use plain white sugar if you don't have corn sugar. Dissolve the sugar in a half gallon of the juice over medium heat, let it cool, and add it to the fermenter. I've done it before and it works fine. Brown sugar wouldn't be very good I think, due to the molasses, though it certainly could work in some beers (winter warmers).

Today is a sad day for me as I have never dumped out a batch of anything. I put together a batch of apfelwein 2 weeks ago and left it to ferment. Went away for a few days to find that the airlock got clogged and blew off the carboy. :mad:

Who knows how many days this has been going on for but there is a green mold growing in the carboy and it smells like a rotting corpse, not like the good old rhino farts apfelwein is known for.

So I ask that we all take a moment of silence and raise a glass of apfelwein to remember my second batch:(

On a side note, this stuff just gets better and better. Im drinking right now a 3 month old bottle and the apple flavor is really starting to come through. 3 more months and this stuff should be killer.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to make more this weekend

I have heard others mention using different yeast cultures and I want to try Cotes de Blanc just to see what the difference in the taste is. I have no experience with this yeast. Can I just mix everything together in a carboy like Edworts instructions say or should the Cotes de Blanc yeast be started in a primary fermentation bucket?

I have heard others mention using different yeast cultures and I want to try Cotes de Blanc just to see what the difference in the taste is. I have no experience with this yeast. Can I just mix everything together in a carboy like Edworts instructions say or should the Cotes de Blanc yeast be started in a primary fermentation bucket?

i believe it can be mixed up like eds instructions, but i could be wrong

I'm in!! Just made made batch of apfelwein.

Now I just need to wait. :drunk:

I'll check back in here to tell of my progress...

edit: Ooh! I get to change my signature now! :D

I used some Tree Top apple cider for my first batch. Instead of an airlock, I just left a little airspace and loosened the plastic cap. It's fermenting like crazy. Cool to make something that requires all of 10 minutes to assemble.

Last night I was at a friends for a barbeque with some relatives of his that are in from Germany. Needless to say I had to bring over several bombers of 6 month old Apfelwein to get their opinions.Got a big thumbs up from them all.They live on a farm between Hamburg and Berlin and from what they said they just press the apples and it ferments on it's own without adding yeast.Must be due to wild yeast I guess.He also said most people over their have their own apple trees.At least in the town he's from.I also got to exchange addresses with one of his cousins to do a music cd exchange in the future which is another passion of mine. Always looking for good bands from other parts of the world.Thanks again Ed for the great recipe.

I just found out yesterday that my oldest daughter is now engaged. It got me thinking that carbonated Apfelwein might make an ideal, unique and inexpensive beverage to use when toasting the bride and groom. I know that champagne is traditional but why not? :mug:

2nd taste test of Apfelwein, straight from the carboy. VERY dry, only slightly reminiscent of apples due to young age, but the apple tones will definitely come forward with time. Post-fermentation specific gravity of .998, making this a very smooth 9.2% ABV. I'll give it another week before I bottle, to achieve the prescribed 4-week ferm time.

6015_1112665629032_1598653158_30344977_6734764_n.jpg

The wine glass is for strictly photogenic purposes. This glass was followed by an Imperial Pint, just for good measure. :drunk: This stuff really does go down faster the more you have!

I just have a few questions regarding aging apfelwein. Its been fermenting for a month now and I plan on letting it sit for another month in the fermenter before bottling. I want to age in the bottles for around a year for a special event in August of '10. So, I guess I need to know if my proposed plan is a good idea, and if it is, what environment should I let the bottles age in? I have never made wine or cider before, so i'm a little clueless here....

I'm on my 2nd week of fermenting the Apfelwein. Quick question...

the Apple Juice I bought was not clear, it was cloudy. Does this mean the final product will be cloudy as well?

the Apple Juice I bought was not clear, it was cloudy. Does this mean the final product will be cloudy as well?

Look around for 'pectic enzyme' for more info, but 1/2 tsp per gallon should clear it up. It should have been added before fermentation, but you can add it after fermentation is complete, it may not be as effective.

It will look more like cider - not a bad thing! I bottle conditioned/carbed mine and they're in brown beer bottles. Letting them age but not worried about
the clarity. This isn't beer or wine. :)

Hi All,

I know everyone keeps saying(or at least through 30 or so pages I have read of the 500!!) that you will like it, just do all of it. I dont have a carboy that big right now so I wanted to do a half batch or so...and also to make sure i was going to like it. i am really not a "cider" person but my better half isnt a beer lover*gasp*. If I half the recipe do I also half the yeast or just use it all? Also, the dextrose, my LHBS only sells 5lb bags...and its the only place I can find corn sugar. Will plain white sugar work? if so, how should it be used?

TIA,

M

Hi All,

I know everyone keeps saying(or at least through 30 or so pages I have read of the 500!!) that you will like it, just do all of it. I dont have a carboy that big right now so I wanted to do a half batch or so...and also to make sure i was going to like it. i am really not a "cider" person but my better half isnt a beer lover*gasp*. If I half the recipe do I also half the yeast or just use it all? Also, the dextrose, my LHBS only sells 5lb bags...and its the only place I can find corn sugar. Will plain white sugar work? if so, how should it be used?

TIA,

M

Use all of the yeast. Plain white sugar is fine, use an equivalent weight (approximately equivalent to 2 cups, if you don't have a scale handy).

Use all of the yeast. Plain white sugar is fine, use an equivalent weight (approximately equivalent to 2 cups, if you don't have a scale handy).

Thanks for your reply. One other thing (for now anyways...i'm sure I will be hounding for quite a while in some way or another). My house varies from 65-73, is this an ok temp to fermentation of this?

EDIT: see i already thought of something else! I have looked before for my other half, for 100% apple juice, not from concentrate. The only ones I have found not from concentrate are cloudy. so my question is, can you get 100% apple juice that IS from concentrate?

Thanks for your reply. One other thing (for now anyways...i'm sure I will be hounding for quite a while in some way or another). My house varies from 65-73, is this an ok temp to fermentation of this?

Yes about the same as mine.

The only ones I have found not from concentrate are cloudy. so my question is, can you get 100% apple juice that IS from concentrate?

All the juice I have used is from concentrate juice sold in gallon bottles (eg Motts).

So after sitting here all day at work trying to make my way through the 500+ pages, I decided to try a sample of what I had fermenting. It's been fermenting for 3 weeks and starting to clear now, but still fairly hazey. I didn't care, I wanted to try it!!

Good god. This stuff is incredible! SWMBO's exact words were "What the h*** are you so excited about??"

I can't believe it's only been 3 weeks and it already tastes this good. You mean it gets better?!?!?

Now to start on the second batch because, like it's been said so many times already in this thread, this stuff isn't going to last long.

BTW, anybody had stomach issues after drinking?? I had about 3 good gulps when I tried it and this morning I spent about 30 minutes in the bathroom wishing the toilet had a seatbelt attached to it.

Use plain white sugar if you don't have corn sugar. Dissolve the sugar in a half gallon of the juice over medium heat, let it cool, and add it to the fermenter. I've done it before and it works fine. Brown sugar wouldn't be very good I think, due to the molasses, though it certainly could work in some beers (winter warmers).

thanks Saccharomyces, just got done making it with table sugar like you advised, og at 1.060 so far so good.:mug:

Back