Where to stop siphoning? 5oz pellet dry-hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ketchepillar

Reaction score
I crashed cooled last night my IIPA. The bottom 3 inches of the carboy look very gunky. There is a very clear line between the clear and the hops. Should I stop there? That's a lot of beer left down there. Also, it was already a smaller batch so if I only have 3.75-4 gallons going into the keg, will I have difficulty force carbonating w/ so much head space? Going to do this soon, so thanks for the quick replies!

I would just siphon all the beer that is above that the 3 inches on the bottom of the carboy. You may have some hop particles floating around in your finished beer, but who cares, you will get ur full volume of beer and it tastes the same anways

When I have that happen to me, what I will do is get the siphon started with the tip of the siphon in the middle of the carboy. Everything starts very clear, and then I will slowly lower the siphon until is just sits on top of the trub at the bottom. This will of course start to pick up some of the trub but not nearly as much trub as when you start the siphon at the bottom.

When I have that happen to me, what I will do is get the siphon started with the tip of the siphon in the middle of the carboy. Everything starts very clear, and then I will slowly lower the siphon until is just sits on top of the trub at the bottom. This will of course start to pick up some of the trub but not nearly as much trub as when you start the siphon at the bottom.

That's what I ended up doing, it worked well. It became very apparent as I was doing it that the hop sludge could not and should not be siphoned into the keg.

Whenever I toss loose hops into a carboy for dryhop, pellet or whole I use a sanitized hop bag around my siphon as a filter.

Great thing to do when doing an IPA. I don't even sanitize it, just put it on it twist the top and tie in a knot. Never had a problem with wild yeast.

Back