Co2 In the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1984CJ

Reaction score
A friend of mine is moving and donated a Fridge to me :ban: I am making a kegerator out of it. :mug: I have already placed the tap in the door but I am kinda stuck now.

Can the Co2 tank/regulator go in the fridge itself or should it go on the outside of the fridge?

This is an older fridge with one door and a compartment freezer. I am concerned about drilling thru the side of the fridge. I don't really want to drill gas in thru the door if I don't have to.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

never done it myself (in fact my track record with fridges is rather poor at the moment) but i've seen many many pictures of fridges with CO2 tanks inside them. I think the main reason for putting it ouside is just to make more room inside. there may be others but i'm not aware of them if there are...

cheers
ws

I'm presently in a position where my CO2 tank is cohabitating in the fridge with my kegs. The only setback with having the tank in the fridge with the kegs, is that I'm limited to having two kegs in the fridge instead of three. It's a small PITA to have to open the fridge every time i want a beer, but I will be patient until I get my new fridge out of the garage and into the bament lab.

When my tenants move out in a month, I'll be moving my new beer fridge to the basement. The new fridge already has the gas line installed, as well as the holes for the faucets pre-drilled. :p

Short answer: yes, you can put the CO2 in the fridge with the kegs, but you will have more room if the tank is outside the fridge.

CO2 tank inside the fridge has drawbacks (internal space use, accessibility to the regulator and guages, etc) but has some benefits (cleaner look, less space taken up in room, minor safety advantage). You'll have to tell us more aobut what your priorioties, goals and limitations are to get more specifics on which will work best for your use.

However, as said before, there is no technical reason prohibiting putting the tank in the fridge.

glibbidy said:
It's a small PITA to have to open the fridge every time i want a beer,

I guess I don't see why you have to open the fridge every time you want a beer? Do you have a pony tap in there or do you disconnect the CO2 when not serving? (BTW I have no kegging experience, as you may be able to tell)

spoiled......you betcha!

The fridge I'm using right now doesn't have any holes drilled for the gas line or the faucets. So all the gear is inside the fridge. It will be a few weeks until the new fridge (with all the holes drilled) moves to the basement.

My lagering fridge, is a temporary solution to satisfy my need for kegged beer. It's less then ideal, but it works.

My CO2 bottle is in the kegger. The only problems, reading a fogged up gage and the regulator is twitchy about adjustments. I have two secondary regulators on order and plan to move the bottle outside. I also hope to cram a fifth keg in.

Well, Since everbody that had answered by the time I got ready for a beer said "inside is OK" that's where it went!
Eventually I will drill a hole in the side and move the 20lb bottle and regulator outside the fridge. Right now I only have one tap on the fridge so only one 5 gal keg on the inside. However, at the moment that single tap delivers a wonderful porter .
Unfortunantly, the fridge is causing marital strife.
The wife is jealous of me having the beer in the garage and wants it in the kitchen now!:D

Eventually I will drill a hole in the side and move the 20lb bottle and regulator outside the fridge.

Before you drill a hole in the side make sure the condenser coils are not atached to the skin of the fridge. (most newer fridg's are) If it's got the coils on the back of the fridge your pretty safe drilling the side. myself, i drill through the bottom.

hope this helps, JIm:mug:

FWIW

Keeping the CO2 Canister outside may have a small benefit by having it warmer.

My kegs and fridge are in an outdoor room at the house and it gets pretty warm. I notice that as the temps rise, so does the pressure in the tank which is kept outside the fridge.

It would seem logical that having a lower temp for storage would by default lower the potential pressure available.

The N20 I run in my car benefits greatly by having the bottle warm for instance.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

knewshound

knewshound said:
FWIW

Keeping the CO2 Canister outside may have a small benefit by having it warmer.

My kegs and fridge are in an outdoor room at the house and it gets pretty warm. I notice that as the temps rise, so does the pressure in the tank which is kept outside the fridge.

It would seem logical that having a lower temp for storage would by default lower the potential pressure available.

The N20 I run in my car benefits greatly by having the bottle warm for instance.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

knewshound
The amount of CO2 has nothing to do with what temperature it is at. It doesn't matter if it's at 38 degrees or 75 degrees. 5 pounds of CO2 is 5 pounds of CO2.

Back