New to the keg world

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcobb74

Reaction score
I stick to 5 gallons and have no plans to go larger (house size) what do I really need to be happy and have a "house batch" always in the keg? Do I need a small fridge? (The fiancé will not let me cut into her new LG) Looking for what I should invest and where to buy (NB or local store?).....any help is greatly appreciated! Just joined today and looking forward to growing my knowledge, thanks guys! :mug:

I'm doing the same thing. I got a LG given to me it's a 4.5 cubic foot frige. Should hold a corney keg very easily with minor modifications. You can look on Craig's list I've seen them there really cheap. Or Walmart has them for around $180. But either way I'd buy one and modify it dont buy a kegerator it well cost you an arm and leg.

we've all been in the position of "what should I get?" which plenty of people on here can offer great advice to save you time and money and have great ideas. I would check out the kegerator pictures to see some peoples set-ups.

I would at minimum get 2 kegs. Rather you want a dorm fridge or a keezer (top opening freezer converted to kegerator) that's up to you. The dorm fridge will have a smaller footprint and easier for you to insert and remove the kegs. The keezer is more efficient with keeping the fridge cold if you open/close the top multiple times depending on how you want to set your taps up. The keezer also offers a lot more space above your kegs for the gas/beer lines which helps if you plan on having longer then 5' beer lines. You'll have to invest in a temp controller if you go the keezer route.

If you buy a dorm fridge and want to keep it very minimal, just make sure there's room in there for a corny keg and a co2 tank and use a picnic tap and when you want a draft just open the fridge and poor. If you want to go a step above install taps either in the door or get a tower. The above is a good start then if you want to install nice taps and or a tower it won't be that much more $$.

For me, I went the dorm fridge way and was able to pick up a sanyo 4912 that many have converted.

kegerator.jpg

Ill keep you guys posted. What is the best first beer to keg. Wheat?

My keezer just barely squeezes in 4 corny kegs and I could put one 3gal on the step if I had one. This seems just right for me cause one of the kegs is always soda water.

I'm still a bit away from full-bore keezer but am curious of about the best route to take in order to not duplicate purchases or buying things I won't use later. I'm interested in using a picnic tap style in the beginning (I already have a small beer fridge on the back porch) with one or two kegs.

What should be my 'smart' purchases if I am pretty sure I'll move to a larger system later (probably a 4-tap keezer)? Piecemealing it also allows me time to not fork out $1K all up front! Should I buy a 'system' from one of the suppliers? Try to part it out?

I would part it out. Buy a bigger co2 tank on Craigslist. A 20 lb costs marginally more than a 5 lb. think about how many different serving pressures you want (if you do want) and buy the right size secondary. I did two 3 pressure secondaries so I wouldn't need manifolds. A luxury, but my co2 lines are simple.
By stainless shanks and perlick stainless taps.
Buy lots of tubing so you can make your lines the length you want

its great that u already have a fridge, that's the first expense off the "need list". find the dimensions of corny kegs online and make sure you can fit one or two in there (you'll need a couple inches on top as well for you're lines). your next expense will be the kegs and you brewing equipment. if you do some searching on different sites (even this one) people are selling their stuff so you could get great deals.

I have a fridge, but it was not very practical. I think the chest freezer with a collar is the way to go. My chest freezer is small, but with the collar will hold 5 kegs. I can have 3 on tap and 2 conditioning. I think the freezer only cost $169 on sale.

Back