Weissbier Honey Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanted to report that I made a batch of this for my sis in law's wedding in May (along with Centennial blond and my house pale) and it was a big hit. I used blood oranges instead of regular ones. The honey/tart orange was a very nice interplay, but I think I'll either use less oranges or more honey malt (or both) next time. The sweetness didn't really start shining until just recently. You could tell it was there, but it was covered by the tarter oranges. Great stuff!

Sounds like a pretty nice line-up for a wedding! And if you end up experimenting with the different ratios of oranges and honey malt let us know how it turned out!

:mug:

Awesome! Yeah it's time for me to do this one soon. Luckily the next two on tap will be sessions so we can blow through those quickly :D

I literally just brewed something so similar to this yesterday and I happened to stumble upon this thread. I'll post my recipe now and pics with tasting notes when it's ready. The cool thing is, my recipe used Wyeast 1056 American Ale because I wanted the malt and orange to shine through without banana notes.

Batch Size 5 gal.

Decoction mash
30 min at 131
45 min at 153

60 min boil.

6 lbs. Brewers Best Pale Malt
5 lbs Weyermann Light Wheat
0.5 lbs Honey Malt

1oz Tettnang 60 min.
2.5 oz fresh zested orange peel 5 min
1 peeled orange (flesh only) 5 min

1000 ml starter on a stir plate for tweleve hours - krausen had just started

Fermenting at an ambient temp of 66 degrees.

The wort smelled awesome. Fermentation took off within three hours.

Hi guys - thinking about brewing this one this week. Initial post doesn't say anything about how much water/temp for sparging. What have you all used?

Hi guys - thinking about brewing this one this week. Initial post doesn't say anything about how much water/temp for sparging. What have you all used?

Well sparge water doesn't really vary much in temp... usually just whatever raises the mash temp enough to stop the mash enzymes... 180*F is probably fine. I also left the volume open-ended because I do "no mash-out" and batch sparge but there are many other ways to do it that require different amounts of water.

Plus, due to the dry environment I live in, I have a really high boil-off rate.

But if you really need some guidance, at the end you should collect enough to end up with 5.5 gallons, taking into account grain absorption, mash-tun deadspace, boil-off rates, kettle deadspace, etc. In my case, I try to get 7-7.5 gallons into the kettle.

Brewed tonight.

Got 6 gallons at 1.044 OG Used dried orange peel in place of zest.

In the fermentation chamber now at about 59* ambient.

Oh, worth mentioning. The white wheat I used has about 33% unmalted barley in it. Not on purpose, but I got 50 lbs of it free because of that. We will see how it comes out.

Well aside from having mad amounts of body, the unmalted barley shouldn't do much.

Brewed this on Wednesday. It's sitting in my closet at 68* and started bubbling away after about 18 hours. Excited to taste it soon. A few pics from the brew day:

photo_1.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

Blowoff tube indeed! I used my first better bottle on my last brew and definitely needed a blowoff.

And the last time I brewed this one I had a 6 inch krausen (luckily it was in a 7.5 gallon bucket.)

Well, I had the recipe and was all set to go on this. I picked up my home brew equipment and then headed to the home brew store. When I got there the guy told me I couldn't do this because it is whole grain and I needed more advanced equipment like and outdoor burner and larger kettle. So he sold me some extract stuff. I guess I will try my first ever batch of beer with the extract.

I feel like he made it a little more complicated than it had to be. You know, when people try to get all technical just to show off. I thought for sure I could make a concentrated mash with this but I guess not. Hopefully the extract hef tastes good.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with extract. You can make some great beer that way.

What were you planning on doing? Brew in a Bag?

@djshakes - you can definitely make great extract beer and you can also do an all grain version on your stovetop if you pick up an 8 gallon (or larger) kettle. Look up "Deathbrewer's Stovetop All Grain" and you'll find a good method. I used this until I recently built a mash tun and purchased a propane burner.

This is pretty tasty. It used 1056 and 2.5 oz of orange zest. I wish I would've "dry hopped" with more zest for a pronounced aroma. The orange flavor is subtle, which is good. My wife said it reminded her of Blue Moon. This is only day two in the keg so it should be even better in a few days.

image-759509118.jpg

Finally tasted my batch last night after 2 weeks of being patient for it to carb. Happy to report that this one is awesome. Great recipe.

I'm thinking about making this but I was wondering could I substitute sweet orange peels for the zest with out changing the final taste? If so how much should be the equivalent.

Cajun_Tiger33 said:
I'm thinking about making this but I was wondering could I substitute sweet orange peels for the zest with out changing the final taste? If so how much should be the equivalent.

It will definitely affect the taste. With the zest you get the oils and aromatics that taste/smell like a sweet, citrusy orange. Adding orange peel, even the sweet version, will add bitterness, not sweetness.

It will definitely affect the taste. With the zest you get the oils and aromatics that taste/smell like a sweet, citrusy orange. Adding orange peel, even the sweet version, will add bitterness, not sweetness.

This. I've tried beers with dried peels and I've tried them with zest... zest always wins, in my opinion.

It's right there on the first post. Expected OG 1.045, Expected FG 1.008

Nice. Be sure to let us know how it goes and, if you can, take some photos :mug:

Good luck!

Im planning on bottling this today, it was my first brew and i was wondering what bottle carbonation level i should use..

First bottle, hasn't finished carbing up but I couldn't wait any longer. I have a good feeling this won't be the last time I brew this

image-2715963259.jpg

Howdy, i am fairly newer to the brewing hobby, I am brewing this all grain 5gallon batch on Wed night and i had a question about the mash. I am thinking of mashing it at 160 or 162. Your receipe says the following

Single-Infusion, 12QT water, 60 miuntes @ 154*F

What are the Cons to brewing a little higher? Don't higher temp bring out the sweetness? pardon me for my noobish :)

Also i want to take some SG readings... when i start my mash and another reading @ 30 Mins and another @ 60... my final SG should be around what? 1.044? or 1.009?

Higher temperatures do indeed make the wort less fermentable and thus makes a sweeter end product. However, I don't think I've ever seen a mash done at 162. The highest I've personally ever gone is 158 and that was for a pumpkin ale that is meant to have tons of body and malty sweetness (and finish at an FG around 1.018.) But this beer is meant to be drier (FG around 1.008) and is already pretty weak, so doing 162 you'll probably be looking at a cloyingly sweet, 2% abv mess of a beer.

This recipe (and style, really) is meant to be light, dry, and refreshing and as such should be mashed in the low 150's.

Latest posts

Back