Looking for a recipe for Kalik

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foobie

Reaction score
It's that nice light (and possibly a little wimpy) Carribbean-only brew. I love the heavy stuff, but Kalik is perfect for an afternoon on the beach in the islands!

I have scoured every brewing resource I can think of and I can't find a recipe anywhere...

If anyone has any suggestions for an extract/grain blend or extract only brew that would come close, I'd be much obliged.

I want my new bride to sample this great feature of the islands before we head there.

Thanks in advance,

Foo

Haha, Kalik. In Abaco, I was drinking it...anyways I would guess just some Pilsner malt, corn?, lager yeast and some noble hops( Saaz?). Actually Kalik is rated @ 5% ABV.

One week from today, I'll be drinking Kalik myself.

I don't think it would be easy to clone- it's a lager and there are some adjuncts in there. Also, the color is very light. It's kind of like Corona- probably not really possible to clone with any degree of satisfaction. Maybe an all grain very light lager would be acceptable, with corn added. Otherwise, I have no idea!

Speaking of Kalik, I think part of the mystique is that it is not widely available outside the Bahamas, that and while you are there it is what everyone drinks. Problem is in that heat, I have had more than my fair share of skunked ones hehe.

>> One week from today, I'll be drinking Kalik myself. <<

Have fun! Guess that's a break from the UP. What island?

Yooper Chick said:
One week from today, I'll be drinking Kalik myself.

When you are down there, be sure to ask for a "Cold Foot Sweller" instead. Dat's what de locals call Kalik, cause when you drink a bunch , your foot swells up so you can drive. :cross:

zoebisch01 said:
Speaking of Kalik, I think part of the mystique is that it is not widely available outside the Bahamas, that and while you are there it is what everyone drinks. Problem is in that heat, I have had more than my fair share of skunked ones hehe.

>> One week from today, I'll be drinking Kalik myself. <<

Have fun! Guess that's a break from the UP. What island?

We go to Eleuthera in the winter. Laid back friendly people, terrible roads, uncrowded, etc. It's heaven! Kinda like the UP, but warmer and less trees. :D

I seem to remember that the book Clone Brews has a recipe for a very low OG Jamaican ginger-lager that must be fairly similar ro what you're talking about.

Yooper Chick said:
We go to Eleuthera in the winter. Laid back friendly people, terrible roads, uncrowded, etc. It's heaven! Kinda like the UP, but warmer and less trees. :D

Lol. Uncrowded is nice. Speaking of trees, I got a touch of Poisonwood there heh.

cweston said:
I seem to remember that the book Clone Brews has a recipe for a very low OG Jamaican ginger-lager that must be fairly similar ro what you're talking about.

It is probably a little different C. It reminds me of Corona, maybe a little better.

Yooper Chick said:

A fellow Eleuthera fan?!?! That's rare! Pleased to make your acquaintence. Rainbow Bay here... the beach there is perfect for a beer or seven....

Back