So I was a bit worried about bottle bombs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was a little worried about my Brewers Best Bold Series Belgian Tripel. According the instructions, the FG should be around 1.013 - 1.018. On 9/12 (23 days in primary), planning to bottle that evening, I checked the gravity and it was still 1.023. That scared me off and I decided to wait through the weekend. So, 3 days later I checked again and it was still 1.023, so I bottled it. I put one in the fridge last night figuring it was time to find out how worried I should be about bottle bombs. No need to worry it seems! Cracked it open a bit ago and it's perfect. Carbonation is coming along nicely. Not bad at all for only 2 weeks in the bottle. So, I guess it's safe to put this one away for a couple months aging. Should be good stuff in time for the holidays :rockin:

I bottled a belgian tripel recently too, damn tasty stuff. Tastes so good for being in the bottle only 2 weeks as well, can't imagine this x-mas.

Bottle bombs are alot of hype, I have over 100 bottles and zero bombs. Don't even use a hydrometer anymore. Just leave it in the primary fermenter an extra week or two, mix with carefully measured amount of priming sugar, and life is good.

Don't drink when you are bottling. Trust me.

You do stupid stuff like mistaking "3 Cups" of priming sugar for "1/3 Cup".

Luckily, it was a Lager, so they all detonated in the spare fridge.

:eek:

Don't drink when you are bottling. Trust me.

You do stupid stuff like mistaking "3 Cups" of priming sugar for "1/3 Cup".

Luckily, it was a Lager, so they all detonated in the spare fridge.

:eek:

good advice! I believe I read about your incident with this -- at least you picked a good spot for the carnage:D

Sometime when I have some place to do it, just for fun, I'm going to bottle up something with yeast and a ton of sugar in it and then leave it somewhere warm with a video camera trained on it. I'll be sure to upload the video when I do. :D

I was a little worried about my Brewers Best Bold Series Belgian Tripel.
I have this same one in the secondary right now. I threw out the yeast it came with in favor of a wyeast Abby ale. It fermented hard for 2 weeks! after a third week I put in in the secondary to clarify and age a little. I was actually thinking of doing a second yeast addition just prior to bottleing to make sure it had the fizz needed.

I cant wait :rockin:

I have this same one in the secondary right now. I threw out the yeast it came with in favor of a wyeast Abby ale. It fermented hard for 2 weeks! after a third week I put in in the secondary to clarify and age a little. I was actually thinking of doing a second yeast addition just prior to bottleing to make sure it had the fizz needed.

I cant wait :rockin:

No kidding on this one fermenting hard -- I've never seen the airlock bubbling so fast with any other beer.
Of course, this is far and away the "biggest" beer I've done so far... It was kind of an impulse purchase at the LHBS. I really had no idea what this one would be like. But, all signs are promising:mug:

I've had to throw out 2 cases of stout due to bottle bombs. Its not common, but its not an urban legend either.
One bottle burst, breaking 5 bottles adjacent to it...chain reaction style.
The rest I had to chill, then open and let them gush like a volcano, and then poured the remaining 1/3 of a bottle out.

I bottled WAY too early that time.

i have a porter that sat 2 weeks before I bottled. This particular batch had 3 pounds of honey added the boil. I'm now worried about bombs. the gravity seemed stable, but I still worry since honey seems take longer to ferment. Any ideas?

i have a porter that sat 2 weeks before I bottled. This particular batch had 3 pounds of honey added the boil. I'm now worried about bombs. the gravity seemed stable, but I still worry since honey seems take longer to ferment. Any ideas?

What was the OG, and the FG? And the yeast you used? That will help us know if it was stuck, or if it was fermented completely.

Unless I started at a really, really high OG and used a low attenuating yeast, and alot of unfermentables, I would never bottle above 1.020.

OG was 1.085
FG was 1.020

I don't have my note pad right now so I don't remember yeast

That's 75% attenuation, which means the beer was probably about done. If the gravity wasn't changing over several days, and it was 1.020, it was definitely done.

To the OP or YB...thoughts on re-pitching before bottling? Im worried the little yeastiest are all tired and wont carb :(

I wouldn't think it necessary, in fact I think if you re-pitched with a higher attenuating strain of yeast and added priming sugar, you increase your chances of overcarbonation or bottle bombs. The addition of priming sugar should be all it takes to wake them up and carb your beer.

WYeast 1214
OG 1075
FQ TBD but should be ~1016

When do you need t repitch? barleywines?

had kind of forgotten about this thread on my Tripel...
Latest update: beer has now been bottled for nearly 3 1/2 months. Carbonation is perfect. This has turned out to be an outstanding beer. Up until a week or so ago, I'd only drank 2 or 3 sample bottles along the way. Now, we've drank a few and I gave a couple away, but still have about 40 bottles left! :rockin:

Back