Hydrometer useful for Kombucha?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrtoad

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a hydrometer is useful for Kombucha or of any discrete measures for testing kombucha?

Thanks

It's not very useful because of the acids and other stuff made by the bacteria throw off the reading. Measuring pH is the most useful. You can do residual sugar test like for wine, but tasting it works about the same.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks kyt. Do you have a pH range in mind for what people would generally consider finished kombucha?

Yes pH 2.5-3.5
My harvest is typically ~3.2 after 7 days with just the right amout of residual sweetness. Keep in mind, pH is not indicative of a finished fermentation. These are separate processes that occur pretty much simultaneously.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Kombucha needs to be below pH 4.0 from a safety standpoint as an aceto-based ferment. With different tea blends you will find a different preference point. My personal preference runs from 2.8-3.2.
pH testing comes in handy when your sense of taste is off, no second guessing when to harvest, when you know your preferred pH for that blend.

Back