Cooper Carb tabs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bottled cider about 10 days ago with Coopers' carbonation tablets and noticed some build-up on the neck and bottom of the bottles. I then turned the bottles upside down for 4 days and still had a sort of sludge... Is this is mold, yeast or simply the carbonation tabs dissolving slowly.

Any help?

Here is a picture of it. It's not as white as it looks, that's just the flash.

20131114_202317 copy.jpg

Just wanted to say I have no idea what that is...but I'm not gonna drink it :)
looks like some one sneezed in the bottle

Here is a picture of it. It's not as white as it looks, that's just the flash.

I'm using Munton's CarTabs and I'm getting floaters that don't fall out in my test bottles. These are my first...I'm a newbie, so I'm interested in what other people respond here as well! I'm including a photo of mine.

ForumRunner_20131115_083649.png

I've done a lot of researching but haven't found a definitive answer for the problem. But I have read that shaking the bottles every now and again can help dissolve floaters.

I use Coopers carb tabs in my bottles and i've personally never had issues. Though I used them for carbing beer as opposed to cider so not sure if this changes anything. As for the Muntons carb tabs, these are known for leaving floaties after carbing. I've used them once and was kind of turned off with how many floaties I had so I switched back to Coopers.

Looks like yeast to me. I would not bother with those carb drops they are just a waste of money. Before I went to kegs I used dextrose or DME never had a problem.

I agree looks like yeast would be interested to see if that was the first bottle or last. I would assume you are using a syphon method to get the cider in the beer. If this is the case try not to rack from the bottom. Leave it above the layer of sediment and you will reduce yeast during bottling.

I used mutons tabs for a test run paid just a few bucks and discovered not worth it. I couldnt tell the difference between 3, 4, 5, or 6 tablets and would leave floaties just like your bottle.

Why did you leave the bottles upside down?

It looks like the yeast sludge that usually settles out to the bottom. Were you storing these upside down?

"Is this is mold, yeast or simply the carbonation tabs dissolving slowly."

I have used Coopers drops and not seen floaters in my beers. But it does form a trub layer.

The nice picture of yours is the yeast that ate the Coopers drops, and burped out CO2, and when the yeast was finished eating, it settled down to the bottom of your bottle.

It depends on your brand/style of yeast how flocculating and dense a trub layer you get the bottom.
With Coopers drops I have seen a thicker layer of trub in mine, just pour it gently and it won't cloud your drink.

Next time I brew, I think I will use dextrose or DME. I've heard it works just as well and is cheaper. This was my first brew, so I thought pre-measured tablets would be idiot proof.

If I remember correctly, I did syphon from the bottom. Newby mistake I guess. I'll know for next time.

I was storing them upside down for a few days. I read that it helps dissolve and the Coopers and can lessen the amount of flakes.

PS. Is there a way to get rid of the yeast already in the bottles? Or am I stuck with it and must pour very carefully in the future?

Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated!

If you bottle condition you are going to end up with yeast in the bottle. If you choose a strain that floculates really well like S-04 or WLP002 it will stick to the bottom of the bottle better.

When you siphon your beer into the bottling bucket you want to get as little of the yeast sediment as possible. A racking cane with the tip on it helps.

Regardless there will be yeast in your beer. No matter if your a pro or newbie there will always be yeast.

If you use corn sugar get a bottling bucket. Dump the sugar at room temp into bottling bucket then siphon on top of corn sugar. This will help mixing the corn sugar and if you put your racking cane just above the yeast cake this will help reduce the amount of sediment in your bottles.

Last when your pour your beer just do it carefully.

Cheers

Awesome gents and perhaps ladies!!

I was freaking out over a ruined first batch...This was a lot of help.
I will no doubt enjoy this cider during the holidays!

Cheers!

Back