Blue glass carboy OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klnosaj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen a blue glass carboy, supposedly made in the 70's, on sale recently. Is there any way to tell if it can handle the stresses of being a primary fermenter?

5Lb5N45Z63Ke3L83Hfc4u1fb848f89d2f1084.jpg

I think the only requirement is a clean/sanitary vessel. I see no problem with the color. It's glass so as long as you don't break it, it'll work fine.

As long as you dont shock it too much with hot wter while cleaning...
It might be too new to apply, but often the older ones are better qualety

Just like the clear ones, keep it in the dark. There is debate over if blue glass causes skunky beer more easily due to light spectrum. But again that's still in debate status.

I would think a clear carboy would allow ALL light to come through so while this may allow the wrong light to come through, so would a clear one. Cover it as you should with any carboy. As far as stresses, cleaning and carrying are the only real stresses it encounters and if you're careful (as you should be with any glass carboy) it should be fine.

My 9 years of brewing in glass carboy's skunked beer is the least of my worries. Kind in the same category of Hot side aeration. On the homebrew scale not an issue.

There is nothing wrong with that carboy. There is some iron oxide in the mix that gave it the blue tint. A proper fermentation with an airlock would not produce pressure to cause problems. Glass is better than plastic any day of the week.

Why? Because you believe everything the plastics council tells you?

I'm guessing hes not worried about the plastics council. Rather he likely has something like this in mind....

(photos of bloody ankle were here)

Pictures like those haunt my mind every time I pick up my carboy.

Last edited by a moderator:
its not a grenade. its dangerous like your car is dangerous. be careful and take care of it and youll be fine.

I wasn't worried about the color of the glass EXCEPT for concern over what made it that color. I was also afraid that there may be some fragility associated with that particular kind of glass. Then, after reading the responses in this thread I realized I could buy a brand new 6 gallon better bottle for the same price and not have to worry about getting someone else's crap from Craigslist. So I did that. Thanks for the feedback.

Back