Blending us05 and 1450

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimTheHick

Reaction score
I'm doing a 1.070 IPA and it seems one pack of us05 is not quite enough, per señor malty.

I have a nice washed cake of 1450 that I'm keeping for a future starter, so I got to thinking that a spoonful of this would get me into the right range of pitch.

This also made me wonder about possible benefits of blending us05 and Denny's 1450. Mouthfeel from Denny's and attenuation from 05!

Downside might be reproducibility.

Thoughts, guys and gals?

Give it a shot. One thought I had is to add the US-05 a couple of days after the 1450. That way Denny's yeast has time to work its magic before the US-05 comes along and eats everything up.

Seven said:
Give it a shot. One thought I had is to add the US-05 a couple of days after the 1450. That way Denny's yeast has time to work its magic before the US-05 comes along and eats everything up.

I would definitely try this if I had enough 1450, but I don't. As it stands if i pitch only 1450 it would be a big under pitch. Mash on!

Can you split the batch into two fermenters? Pitch one with 05 and the other with 1450? Then when both are done, blend in the bottling bucket before bottling/kegging. Just a thought.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Can you split the batch into two fermenters? Pitch one with 05 and the other with 1450? Then when both are done, blend in the bottling bucket before bottling/kegging. Just a thought.

Interesting....thanks for the ideas fellas!

One pack of 05, two tablespoons of 1450 cake! She's humming along!

image-991462576.jpg

Back