Do you clean your bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman

Reaction score
Or do you just rinse it? I would think if i rinse right after bottling then i am cool to just sanitize before bottling.

I rinse mine with super duper hot tap water right after bottling then sanitize right before bottling again. I do however disassemble the spigot/wand/etc... every time and soak in oxiclean free.

Hot water and a cloth to clean it out. Always disassemble the valves. Sanitize before the next batch. Never had any issues to far. I used to use dish soap when cleaning, but I got concerned that it was leaving residue or odor, so I just stick with straight hot water now.

I rinse mine in hot water several times and sanitize prior to using.

I haven't disassembled the spigot since the 90's...(and there's no signs of contamination).

FWIW, the beer is only in there for 20-30 minutes anyway. A hot rinse whould dissolve all sugars. ;)

I was always careful not to scratch the buckets when cleaning. Infections from the buckets still caught up with me after a couples of years use though. Now I use turkey bags in them and have no worries. :D

EDIT: Ooops!! BOTTLING bucket! Sorry, I was thinking fermenters. :(

I do remove the spigot and did a hot water rinse. I figure that is good but just wanted a reality check.

I fill mine up with oxyclean and water and leave it to soak on the edge of the tub. At the start and end of soaking I run some through the spigot. Then a very, very good rinse with very hot water.

Yes. Clean and sanitize. Remove the spigot and see how much gunk is stuck between the threads and the gasket.

Or don't worry about it. I've done both with good results, but I think the risk/effort ratio favors spending a few minutes to be sure.

Clean right after use with dish soap and a washcloth. Sanitizer before the next use. Same procedure for my fermenters, too.

Avoid dish soap. If any residue is left in the bottling bucket, it will kill the head on your beer. Straight hot water works best. In the fermenters, use PBW or Oxy Clean.

Back