Belgian Tripel Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAnalyst

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! This is my first post on the forum (after lots of stalking).

Tomorrow I'm going to brew my first Belgian Tripel (an Affligem clone from Austin Home Brew). This will only be my second batch of brew, and I'm wondering if there's anything I need to be aware of, or watch out for in this batch.

I'm a little concerned about the amount of malt and sugar that will be used (10.5 lbs LDME, 1.5 lbs Candi Sugar), and the estimated OG ~1.08. I'll be double pitching White Labs WLP530.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Hints?

There's nothing unusual about the style. Control fermentation temp as with any other batch. Ramp it up during the second half.

It is likely to blow off with that strain at that gravity.

Be very patient.

Make sure you have plenty of active yeast ready for the job required of them. Sounds like you do, with the double pitching you mentioned. As for fermentation temps, try to keep them around 65-70. This batch will take more time to ferment and finally condition in the bottles. Be prepared to keep them in the bottles aging for at least 6 months, if not more. You will like the results.

Update - Everything went pretty much to plan, however my OG was pretty low compared to what the recipe said it would be. The original boil was 2.5 gallons, to with I added 6 oz aromatic malt, brewed for 25 minutes, came to a boil, and added 10.5 lbs Pale Light Malt Extract and 1.5 lbs clear Candi sugar. After getting it into the primary (5.25 gallons total) the OG was only 1.072. The AHS kit says it should have been 1.085. Any idea what might have happened?

Update - Everything went pretty much to plan, however my OG was pretty low compared to what the recipe said it would be. The original boil was 2.5 gallons, to with I added 6 oz aromatic malt, brewed for 25 minutes, came to a boil, and added 10.5 lbs Pale Light Malt Extract and 1.5 lbs clear Candi sugar. After getting it into the primary (5.25 gallons total) the OG was only 1.072. The AHS kit says it should have been 1.085. Any idea what might have happened?

The .25 extra gallons contributed a little bit, but IIRC, low SG readings are almost always a direct result of not being able to mix the top-off water and the boiled wort to a homogenous mixture. I'll bet you're closer to the estimated SG than you think. Good luck.

Back