High Temperature Paint Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewVegas

Reaction score
I've got some black BBQ paint that I'm going to use to paint my single tier.

My question is "Do I need high temp primer, too?"

Thanks...

That BBQ paint is butt ugly. I tried it on my stand and hated it. Go to an auto parts megastore and buy header/exhaust paint. It's supposedly good up to 3000F but in any case, it's holding up extremely well on my stand. the only place where there's no paint left is at the contact area under the keg.

To answer your question though, yes, you can't put high temp stuff over low temp. It will just bubble right off.

Engine paint; Same as header/exhaust or whatever. Haven't used it on kettle or anything, but good on engine, engine parts, calipers/drums etc. Be careful though, couple times I've used it it tends to run a little.

I've tried the bbq and the engine enamel on my single tier...both have been lackluster. Only the legs and lower horizontal supports (that would be the areas that don't get hot) have any any paint left on them.

I've been considering repainting the top surfaces and have done a lot of research. Apparently POR-15 Black Velvet is best paint out there, though it's spendy for sure POR-15 Inc.. I've made some inquiries, and must be in their database b/c they just sent me a coupon code that's good until January 1 (PCAA1208 hope it works for you).

That BBQ paint is butt ugly. I tried it on my stand and hated it. Go to an auto parts megastore and buy header/exhaust paint. It's supposedly good up to 3000F but in any case, it's holding up extremely well on my stand. the only place where there's no paint left is at the contact area under the keg.

Doesn't all the high temp header paint require curing by baking?

I bought some last night I then didn't pay any attention to the directions because I have seen that alot of people on here have been using it.
Excuses Excuses.

So unless someone on here tells me I can cure it some other way I will be killing a lot rags and will be high off paint thinner later today.

Joy.

-Dan

It does cure with heat. I just put my vessels on with some water in them and run the burners on low, then medium, then high heat over about an hour. I don't know if it worked but I have about 20 batches on the paint now and only where the kegs sit is a little surface rusty. I don't mind doing a little sanding and touch up every year or so.

Well I painted the whole thing with it and the bottom won't be getting any heat.

I was hoping to hear that I could just leave it on and use it as a sort of primer, but I can rub it off with my fingers so I am sure putting another coat of something else on top of it won't help?

Back