need quick answer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew

Reaction score
i am bottleing and i washed all the bottles in the dishwasher without soap and on a setting called sani clean and heat dry

i am ready to bottle and the bottles are not dry on the inside

is this a major concern or should i be good to go?

I hope you still intend to sanitize the inside of the bottles. Dishwashers have a hard time getting the insides clean.

If "sani clean" means the machine uses a steam heat method of sanitizing (mine does) then you should be good to go, so long as there is no crud left in the bottles.

If you have you machines manual, then I suggest you read it to become better familiar with what it's sanitizer settiung really means. For example, my machine heats during the cycle and injects steam into the cabinet holding the contents at 150*F for 25 minutes.

Yes. I have learned that plastic does not hold it shape well in this environment.

don't you have drying function on the dishwasher?

yes i do have a heat feature that is what freaked me out.........i am pretty sure the sani function mean that the contects where held at 150 degrees for 25 minutes and my guess is that the heat dry function was unable to dry the inside fully.....thoughts

it's nothing if they are wet. if you used any other sanitizer, you would have to make them wet. couple of drops of water inside of bottle are nothing to be concerned of....

i'm going in.........and yes i did sanitize and wash and scrub prior to doing the dishwasher thing........the dishwasher was just my last step in the process

I do it a little bit differently, which I think will eliminate any future worries.

I load the dishwasher first with all the bottles and then run it on High Temp, Sani Rise and Heat Dry. While that's going, I fill my bottling bucket with 2.5 gallons of Star San solution. Once the bottles are done, I dunk each bottle, letting it fill up an inch with solution... swirl it around and dump it out.

I then let the bottles drip dry upside down on the dishwasher rack (yes, you can spray the dishwasher rack with Star San for extra protection) if the bottles still have a little sanitizer left in the bottle, I don't really care.. it's a no-rinse solution.

That's cool, just as long as the bottles are still wet with Star-San solution. Star-San works when wet only; once the bottle dries, the Star-San is no longer active.

Also, the nice thing about using Star-San is that, as the foam breaks down, yeasties use it for nutrient, which can help with bottle conditioning. I love Star-San!

Back