Gaps for your Crankandstein (3d)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
I have Dr. Crankandstein mocking me up a SS 3D. For those of you with the three-roller models, what do you have your gaps set for? I was thinking of having the Doc set them at the ideal gaps right from the get, so I don't have to worry about buying feeler gauges and all that. Looking for gaps that provide the best efficiency for all around use.

I used my gauges and ultimately decided that the only way to set it was run a little grain through it and adjust until I got the crush I wanted. I know that doesn't help you but I talked to a few people and the advice I got ranged from 0.040 up through 0.060 so I just empirically determined what was best. I probably get a little more flour than most would tolerate but a neighbor who borrowed my mill saw his efficiency jump up from mid 60s up over mid 80s compared to Austin Homebrew Supply crush. I think that AHS has to crush to satisfy all customers and not cause problems for stuck sparges so I believe they're a little relaxed on their mills gap. One note: I also noticed that year to year I have to adjust the gap based on that years barley quality. If you want I can measure the gap on mine when I get home and shoot you a PM. Let me know.

According to the Doc, this is set at .070 for the top rollers and .045 for the bottom roller. I guess based upon what you're saying I'll just keep it at the factory settings.

Yeah, I know...I started this thread, no one responded, so I put basically the same thread in the all grain section. Then someone responded. Shoot me.

Yeah, I know...I started this thread, no one responded, so I put basically the same thread in the all grain section. Then someone responded. Shoot me.

Sorry man. Sometimes I have a tendancy to be a bit of a smart a$$, especially online. Not so much in person. It's actually a bit of jealousy since I don't have a mill yet.

I measured the gap for my 3-roller Crankandstein and I have mine set to 36 thousands best I can determine with my old valve feeler gauges. Like I said I have a little bit more flour than some might like but I've only had one stuck sparge and it wasn't due to the crush.......I was just being stupid and forgot a part on my mashtun. I won't forgot again for certain. Are you using a hand crank or an electric motor of some sort?

I measured the gap for my 3-roller Crankandstein and I have mine set to 36 thousands best I can determine with my old valve feeler gauges. Like I said I have a little bit more flour than some might like but I've only had one stuck sparge and it wasn't due to the crush.......I was just being stupid and forgot a part on my mashtun. I won't forgot again for certain. Are you using a hand crank or an electric motor of some sort?

I'm gonna be attaching an electric drill to it, which is what Don suggested I use. I didn't specify the hand-crank option. What works best for you?

Latest posts

Back